Maxwell's Equation and Special Relativity

In summary: So, in the presence of permittivity and permeability of free space, we know "the speed of light" can be written in terms of those quantities. However, if there were no permittivity and permeability, them c -> infinity. So, by accepting that the free space has permittivity and permeability, a finite speed of light emerges naturally. Thus, I don't see why it is surprising to see that Maxwell's Equations are consistent with Special Relativity. Of course it would be consistant because it assumes that even in the free space, the speed of light cannot be infinity.3. I, personally think that "the speed of light" should be much more unique than
sergei flamel
I've got a couple of question about Maxwell's Equation and its relation to Special Relativity.

1. Why do we think that free space has permittivity and permeability? For me, due to quantum effects free space should have permittivity and permeability, but how did Maxwell accept that the free space has permittivity and permeability? What did he based the idea of "permittivity and permeability" on? Well, I could think that they are just experimental results, but how did he explain the "permittivity and permeability of free space" to himself without any clue on quantum field theory?

2. So, in the presence of permittivity and permeability of free space, we know "the speed of light" can be written in terms of those quantities. However, if there were no permittivity and permeability, them c -> infinity. So, by accepting that the free space has permittivity and permeability, a finite speed of light emerges naturally. Thus, I don't see why it is surprising to see that Maxwell's Equations are consistent with Special Relativity. Of course it would be consistant because it assumes that even in the free space, the speed of light cannot be infinity. ( Ok, I know relativity is much more than that, but accepting that the speed of light is finite in free space is too much for 1861 )

3. I, personally think that "the speed of light" should be much more unique than just the speed of a photon. For instance, gravitational waves also travels with speed of light and they don't have such electromagnetic properties. So, obviously we cannot impose those "permittivity and permeability" things on gravitational waves. So, could I safely assume that, inside a fluid, gravitational waves travels faster than light? Than what happens to relativity? How should I write Lorentz Transformations in this case? Do I need a relativity which keeps two speeds constant instead of one?

Thanks for the answers :-)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
sergei flamel said:
1. Why do we think that free space has permittivity and permeability? For me, due to quantum effects free space should have permittivity and permeability, but how did Maxwell accept that the free space has permittivity and permeability? What did he based the idea of "permittivity and permeability" on? Well, I could think that they are just experimental results, but how did he explain the "permittivity and permeability of free space" to himself without any clue on quantum field theory?
Free space does NOT have permittivity epsilonzero and permeability muzero.
The QED "vacuum polarization" is a kind of p and p, but that is a higher order quantum effect.
Maxwell DID NOT accept that the free space has permittivity and permeability.
Maxwell only accepted c, and in fact devised an experiment to measure c even before he showed it was the speed of light. c was originally introduced as the relation between magnetic and electrical phenomena.
The constants epsilonzero and muzero were introduced in a clumsy attempt to correlate the units of physics with units that engineers like. They have nothing to do with properties of free space. In fact muzero/4pi is just a pure power of ten relating mks to cgs units, and the ampere to the original absolute ampere.

1. The concept of permittivity and permeability in free space was first introduced by James Clerk Maxwell in his famous set of equations, known as Maxwell's equations. These equations describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields and their interactions with matter. Maxwell based these equations on experimental observations and mathematical calculations, without any knowledge of quantum field theory. However, the concept of permittivity and permeability in free space is consistent with quantum field theory and has been further supported by experimental evidence.

2. It is true that the speed of light emerges naturally in Maxwell's equations when considering the permittivity and permeability of free space. However, the significance of this discovery lies in the fact that it led to the development of special relativity. Special relativity is a fundamental theory that explains the behavior of objects moving at high speeds and is based on the constancy of the speed of light in vacuum. Therefore, the consistency between Maxwell's equations and special relativity is not surprising, but rather a crucial aspect in understanding the nature of space and time.

3. The speed of light is indeed unique and is not limited to just photons. As you mentioned, gravitational waves also travel at the speed of light, but they do not have electromagnetic properties. This does not mean that they do not interact with matter, but their interactions are different from those of electromagnetic waves. Therefore, the concept of permittivity and permeability does not apply to gravitational waves. In this case, the theory of general relativity is used to describe the behavior of gravitational waves and their interactions with matter. General relativity is a more comprehensive theory that accounts for the effects of gravity on the fabric of space-time, including the speed of light. The Lorentz transformations in general relativity are different from those in special relativity and take into account the effects of gravity. So, there is no need for a separate relativity theory for gravitational waves, as general relativity already accounts for their behavior.

1. What are Maxwell's Equations?

Maxwell's Equations are a set of four fundamental equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. They were developed by James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century and are considered one of the cornerstones of modern physics.

2. What is the significance of Maxwell's Equations?

Maxwell's Equations play a crucial role in understanding and predicting the behavior of electromagnetic waves, such as light. They also helped to unify electricity and magnetism into a single theory, known as electromagnetism.

3. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century that describes the behavior of objects moving at high speeds. It is based on the principle that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion.

4. How are Maxwell's Equations related to special relativity?

Maxwell's Equations were one of the key inspirations for Einstein's theory of special relativity. By incorporating these equations into his theory, Einstein was able to show that the speed of light is constant for all observers, regardless of their relative motion.

5. Can Maxwell's Equations and special relativity be applied to other areas of physics?

Yes, Maxwell's Equations and special relativity have been successfully applied to a wide range of physical phenomena, including particle physics, cosmology, and even quantum mechanics. They are fundamental principles that have greatly influenced our understanding of the universe.