Calculate Weight on Crane Pivot Points

In summary, the weight on each pivot point can be calculated using a simple formula that takes into account the mass and length of each arm, as well as the mass of the camera and counterweight. For example, if the Length of Main Arm is 5m, the Length of Control Arm is 3m, the Mass of the Main Arm is 2.1 kg/m, the Mass of the Control Arm is 1.1 kg/m, and the Mass of the Camera and Counterweight are 2kg each, then the Weight on Point A would be 14kg and the Weight on Point B would be 3.6kg.
silvtal
Hi there,

I've just built a crane (well, actually a jib arm), to be used on a film dolly with
a camera on one end and a counterweight on the other to balance it.
I'm a bit worried about the weight I'm putting on the bearings and so I started
calculating. But I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out how much weight is
being put on each point. How much weight is PIVOT POINT A taking and how
much weight is PIVOT POINT B taking? Could someone enlighten me?
The MAIN ARM has a mass of 2.1 kg/m and the CONTROL ARM has a mass of
1.1 kg/m. Then there is the mass of the camera on one end and a massive
counterweight on the other end. Does PIVOT POINT B actually take any weight?

Thanks very much for any help.

Attachments

• crane_1.jpg
    crane_1.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 519
Physics news on Phys.org
The answer to your questions depends on the mass of the camera and counterweight, as well as the length of the arms. To calculate the weight on each pivot point, you can use a simple formula: Weight on Point A = (Mass of Main Arm + Mass of Counterweight) * (Length of Main Arm / Length of Control Arm); Weight on Point B = (Mass of Control Arm + Mass of Camera) * (Length of Control Arm / Length of Main Arm).For example, if the Length of Main Arm is 5m and the Length of Control Arm is 3m, the Mass of the Main Arm is 2.1 kg/m and the Mass of the Control Arm is 1.1 kg/m, and the Mass of the Camera and Counterweight are 2kg each, then the Weight on Point A would be (2.1 + 2) * (5 / 3) = 14kg and the Weight on Point B would be (1.1 + 2) * (3 / 5) = 3.6kg.I hope this helps!

Hello there,

Calculating the weight on crane pivot points requires taking into consideration several factors such as the mass of the main arm, control arm, camera, and counterweight, as well as the distance between the pivot points and the center of mass of each component. Additionally, the forces acting on the pivot points, such as the weight of the crane itself and any external forces, must also be considered.

To accurately determine the weight on each pivot point, you will need to use the principles of statics and apply the equations of equilibrium. This involves analyzing the forces and moments acting on the crane and ensuring that they balance out, resulting in a stable and static system.

It is difficult to provide a specific answer without knowing the exact dimensions and specifications of your crane. However, I recommend consulting with a structural engineer or using a crane load calculator to accurately determine the weight on each pivot point. This will ensure the safety and stability of your crane and prevent any potential issues with the bearings or other components.

I hope this helps and good luck with your project!

1. How do you calculate the weight on crane pivot points?

To calculate the weight on crane pivot points, you need to know the total weight of the load being lifted and the distance of the load from the crane's pivot point. You can then use the formula weight = load x distance to determine the weight on the crane pivot points.

2. Why is it important to calculate the weight on crane pivot points?

Calculating the weight on crane pivot points is important to ensure the safety and stability of the crane during lifting operations. It helps crane operators determine the maximum load capacity and prevents overloading, which can lead to accidents and damage to the crane and its components.

3. What factors can affect the weight on crane pivot points?

The weight on crane pivot points can be affected by several factors, including the weight and distribution of the load, the length and angle of the crane's boom, and the location of the crane's pivot point. Environmental factors such as wind speed and ground conditions can also influence the weight on crane pivot points.

4. How often should the weight on crane pivot points be recalculated?

The weight on crane pivot points should be recalculated whenever there are changes in the lifting operation, such as a different load or a change in the crane's configuration. It is also recommended to recalculate the weight on crane pivot points periodically to ensure safe and efficient lifting operations.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when calculating the weight on crane pivot points?

Yes, it is important to follow safety precautions when calculating the weight on crane pivot points. These include ensuring that the crane is on stable ground and that the load is properly secured. It is also crucial to follow the manufacturer's instructions and guidelines for the specific crane being used.