Prove, if p and q are distinct prime numbers

In summary: So p is also a factor of b, not just p^2.In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that sqrt(p/q) is irrational if p and q are distinct prime numbers. The proof involves using the fact that if a prime number divides a product of two integers, it must divide at least one of the integers. By assuming the opposite and using algebraic manipulation, a contradiction is reached, proving the initial statement. The conversation also mentions the famous fact known as Euclid's lemma, which states that if a prime number divides the product of two integers, it must divide at least one of the integers.
ayusuf
Prove, if p and q are distinct prime numbers, then sqrt(p/q) is irrational. I know how to prove that if p is a distinct prime number, then sqrt(p) is irrational. From there let sqrt(p) = q/r and then prove but for this I'm stuck. Do we let sqrt(p/q) = (a/b)/(c/d).Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Assume not and that sqrt(p/q) is equal to a/b, for integers a, b and in lowest terms..
Then you can say a2q = b2p. This implies that p divides a2q, but q is prime, so p divides a2. Since p is prime and divides a2=(a)(a), we know it divides a. So write a as a multiple of p and write out your equation and rearrange to isolate b2 (or b). Can you find a contradiction here?

So from a2q = b2p which implies that p divides a2. I understand up to there but when you say write a as a multiple of p I get confused. Could you elaborate a little bit more on that? Thanks.

If p divides a2 then p divides a (why? There is the famous fact that if p is prime and p divides ab then p divides a or p divides b).
So since p divides a, we can write out a=pc for some integer c.
Now, back to the original equation a2q = b2p
a=pc implies that p2c2q = b2p
Now, isolate b2 in this equation. Can you say anything about p dividing b here?

Okay now I understand what you meant by multiple but where are you getting that famous fact from? Okay so now if we isolate b2 in this equation we will have
b2 = pc2q and by taking the square root of both sides we'll have
b = sqrt(pc2q) = csqrt(pq).

Why would p divide b?

You have correctly isolated b2 but you do not need to reduce it.
b2 = pc2q means that b2 is a multiple of p, which means that p divides b2.
This implies that p divides b.
Now p divides a AND p divides b, contradicting that a/b was in lowest terms.

The famous fact (that prime p divides ab implies p divides a or p divides b) will be in the first few chapters of any number theory book. Here is a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euclid's_lemma. This fact is very important in number theory and even in group theory & ring theory so I would advise that you understand it.

The reason your saying b2 is a multiple of p is because c/d = k and if we isolate c we get c = dk. So in this c is b2, d is p and k is c2q right?

also how do go from p dividing b2 to p dividing b? Thanks.

ayusuf said:
The reason your saying b2 is a multiple of p is because c/d = k and if we isolate c we get c = dk. So in this c is b2, d is p and k is c2q right?

You yourself found the equation b2 = pc2q, which is the same thing as b2 = p(c2q), which means that b2 is equal to p times something. It doesn't get much clearer than that.

ayusuf said:
also how do go from p dividing b2 to p dividing b? Thanks.

b2 = bb and using the famous fact we see that p divides b.

Okay for the first part kind of what I was saying that c = dk. It's like saying 12 = 6*k where k = 2 right? I know it's pretty clear but I just want to make sure I fully digest this stuff.

Okay now for p divides b2 because according to Euclid's lemma it must divide one of the factors right? Thanks. I really appreciate your help.

ayusuf said:
Okay for the first part kind of what I was saying that c = dk. It's like saying 12 = 6*k where k = 2 right? I know it's pretty clear but I just want to make sure I fully digest this stuff.

Yup.

ayusuf said:
Okay now for p divides b2 because according to Euclid's lemma it must divide one of the factors right? Thanks. I really appreciate your help.

Yes. p is prime and divides bb so by the lemma it divides b.

What does "p and q are distinct prime numbers" mean?

It means that p and q are both prime numbers and are not equal to each other. A prime number is a positive integer that is only divisible by 1 and itself.

How can I prove that p and q are distinct prime numbers?

You can prove this by showing that both p and q are prime numbers and that they are not equal to each other. This can be done through mathematical proof or by using a calculator to test if they are prime numbers.

Can p and q be any prime numbers?

Yes, p and q can be any prime numbers as long as they are distinct (not equal to each other).

Why is it important to specify that p and q are distinct prime numbers?

Specifying that p and q are distinct prime numbers is important because it allows for a specific set of numbers to be tested and proven. It also ensures that the proof is valid and accurate.

Are there any properties of p and q that can help in proving they are distinct prime numbers?

Yes, there are properties of prime numbers that can be used to help in proving that p and q are distinct. For example, the only factors of a prime number are 1 and itself, and the only common factor between two distinct prime numbers is 1.