Strength of material, how to know it is compressio or tension?

In summary, the conversation is about determining the tension and compression forces in a structure. The solution is to look at the directions of the forces acting on each part and using force balance in statics. The question also prompts to consider the behavior of the structure if a certain part is cut.
aiklone1314

Homework Statement

May i know how to know boom and rod, which is in tension and compression?
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/5728/16203309.gif
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/2595/57134603.gif

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The answer is right in front of you. Look at the directions the forces are acting on each part.

Thanks
Matt

When you're asking for the strength do you mean the Young's Modulus because I don't see enough information to calculate stress and certainly not strain.

...Young's Modulus because I don't see enough information to calculate stress and certainly not strain.

This is just a force balance problem in statics. You arent required to calculate the stresses and/or strains.

You could easily calculate the stress in the rod if you wanted to because the diameter of the rod is given.

Thanks
Matt

CFDFEAGURU said:
The answer is right in front of you. Look at the directions the forces are acting on each part.

Thanks
Matt

i know, but the question is at first comes without the second picture i had uploaded rite?
then how can i know whether it is compression or tension with just the question(the 1st pic i uploaded)?

Imagine the behaviour of the structure if CB is cut. What happens to the distance CB?

1. How do you determine if a material is under compression or tension?

The simplest way to determine if a material is under compression or tension is to observe its behavior when a force is applied. If the material is being pushed or squeezed together, it is under compression. On the other hand, if the material is being pulled or stretched apart, it is under tension.

2. What factors affect the strength of a material under compression or tension?

The strength of a material under compression or tension is affected by various factors such as the material's composition, microstructure, and external conditions like temperature and pressure. The type and magnitude of the applied force also play a crucial role in determining the material's strength.

3. How is the strength of a material under compression or tension measured?

The strength of a material under compression or tension is typically measured using a tensile or compression test. In a tensile test, a sample of the material is pulled apart until it breaks, and the force required to break it is measured. In a compression test, the sample is compressed until it buckles or collapses, and the force required for this to occur is measured.

4. Can a material exhibit both compression and tension simultaneously?

Yes, it is possible for a material to experience both compression and tension simultaneously. This can occur in structures such as beams, where one part of the beam is under compression (i.e., being pushed together) while another part is under tension (i.e., being pulled apart).

5. How does the strength of a material under compression or tension impact its structural integrity?

The strength of a material under compression or tension is a critical factor in determining its structural integrity. If a material is not strong enough to withstand the forces acting on it, it can lead to failure and potential collapse of the structure. Therefore, it is essential to consider the strength of the material when designing and constructing structures to ensure their stability and safety.