What is the best method for integrating x(arctanx)^2?

In summary, the student is trying to find a way to integrate using the different integration methods, but is having trouble. They are considering using integration by parts, but are unsure about how to do it.
Ayesh

Homework Statement

I have to integrate using the following integration methods:
1) u-sub
2) by parts
3) trig
4) partial fraction

Homework Equations

[tex]\int[/tex]x(arctanx)2

The Attempt at a Solution

According to me, the method I should use is integration by parts.

When I tried it, the whole thing got worse...

u = arctanx2
du = 2arctanx/1+x2
dv = xdx
v = 1/2x2

[tex]\int[/tex]x(arctanx)2 = 1/2x2(arctanx)2 - [tex]\int[/tex]x2arctanx/1+x2

Physics news on Phys.org
I would use integration by parts, though you're going to need to use it twice.

First use IBP to find calculate [itex] \int \arctan(x) dx [/itex]. Once you have this, you can use IBP on the whole thing.

try using a U substitution, say u=arctan(x) and [tex]du=\frac{1}{1+x^{2}}dx[/tex]
then dx=(1+x[tex]^{2}[/tex])du , where x=tan(u). also plugging in for the x multiplied in front gets you [tex]\int u^{2}tan(u)(1+tan(u)^{2})du[/tex]

Last edited:
tt2348 said:
try using a U substitution, say u=arctan(x) and [tex]du=\frac{1}{1+x^{2}}dx[/tex]
then dx=(1+x[tex]^{2}[/tex])du , where x=tan(u). also plugging in for the x multiplied in front gets you [tex]\int u^{2}tan(u)(1+tan(u)^{2})du[/tex]

That is definitely more elegant, though I'm not sure that Ayesh will see the trick involved to make it an easy IBP.

Kreizhn why should I use [tex]\int[/tex]arctanx first?

I get from where dx(1 + tan(u)2)du comes from, but not the u2tan(u).

If you're going to keep going in the more elegant direction, I wouldn't worry about integrating arctan first. It is a method that works, but takes a lot more work.

As for your other question, consider that your integrand is [itex] x(\arctan(x))^2 [/itex] and you make the substitution [itex] u = \arctan(x) [/itex] or alternatively, [itex] x = \tan(u) [/itex]. Now when making the substitution, there are three things you are going to need to account for, namely, the x, the [itex] \arctan^2(x) [/itex] and the dx.

see if you can follow the following bit of arithmetic

[tex] \begin{align*}
x \arctan^2(x) dx &= x u^2 dx & \text{ since } u=\arctan(x) \\
&= tan(u) u^2 dx & \text{ since } x = \tan(u) \\
&= u^2 \tan(u) (1+x^2) du & \text{ since } dx = (1+x^2) du \\
&= u^2 \tan(u) (1+tan^2(u) )du & \text{ since } x = \tan(u)
\end{align*}
[/tex]

The tricky part now is realizing that there is an implicit derivative in here that will make integration by parts simple.

Thank you!

Your explanations are very clear!

This is what I have done until now:

[tex]\int[/tex]x(arctanx)^2 dx

1/2 x2arctanx - integral 1/2x2(1/1+x^2) dx

1/2x2arctanx - 1/2 integral tan2t/1+tan2t *sec2t

1/2x2arctanx - 1/2 integral tan2t

1/2x2arctanx - 1/2 integral (sec2t - 1) dt

1/2x2arctanx - 1/2 integral (tant - t) dt

... ?

I don't what to do after.
I know it has something to do with drawing a triangle, but I don't know what values to put around it.

Last edited:

1. What is the formula for integrating x(arctanx)^2?

The formula for integrating x(arctanx)^2 is ∫x(arctanx)^2 dx = x(arctanx)^2 - 2xln(cos(arctanx)) + 2x + C.

2. How do you solve for the indefinite integral of x(arctanx)^2?

To solve for the indefinite integral of x(arctanx)^2, use the formula ∫x(arctanx)^2 dx = x(arctanx)^2 - 2xln(cos(arctanx)) + 2x + C and substitute the values of x and arctanx to obtain the final result.

3. Can the integral of x(arctanx)^2 be solved by parts?

Yes, the integral of x(arctanx)^2 can be solved by parts by using the formula ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du, where u = (arctanx)^2, dv = x dx, and du = 2arctanx/(1+x^2) dx.

4. Is there a substitution method for solving the integral of x(arctanx)^2?

Yes, the substitution method can also be used to solve the integral of x(arctanx)^2. Let u = arctanx, then the integral becomes ∫(tanu)^2 du, which can be easily solved using the power rule.

5. What are some real-life applications of integrating x(arctanx)^2?

Integrating x(arctanx)^2 can be used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, it can be used to calculate the position and velocity of a moving object, the volume of a cone or pyramid, and the area under a curve in business and finance applications.