Help 4 consecutive numbers divisible by 4

• Thread starter nat_tx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Numbers
In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that for any integer n, the expression n(n^2-1)(n+2) is divisible by 4. It is suggested to factor the formula and observe that it is equal to (n-1)(n)(n+1)(n+2), which is the product of 4 consecutive integers. This proves that the expression is always divisible by 4.
nat_tx
help! 4 consecutive numbers divisible by 4

Homework Statement

prove that for any integer n(n^2-1)(n+2) is divisible by 4??

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i know two of them are even, but how do i actually prove this??

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

If you know that two of them are even, then each is of the form 2a and 2b for some integers a and b. Then multiplying them together gives a multiple of 4.

You can start this by factoring the formula given. Expand it completely and then factor out n. Then factor the resulting third degree polynomial. One of the factors is (x+1). Your first factor was n, the second is n+1, so I think you see where this is going. Then after factoring completely you can find the solution.

If n is even, then so is (n+2), and the product is divisible by 4.

If n is odd, then (n^2-1)=(n-1)(n+1) is a product of even numbers, so again the whole thing is divisible by 4.

Try factoring n(n2-1)(n+2) and see if you notice something.

Bohrok said:
Try factoring n(n2-1)(n+2) and see if you notice something.
If you mean "notice that this is (n-1)(n)(n+1)(n+2), the product of 4 consecutive integers, I suspect, from the title of this thread, that he already knew that!

1. What does it mean for numbers to be divisible by 4?

When a number is divisible by 4, it means that the number can be divided by 4 without any remainder. In other words, the result of the division will be a whole number.

2. How do I determine if a number is divisible by 4?

To determine if a number is divisible by 4, you can either divide the number by 4 and check if the result is a whole number or you can check if the last two digits of the number are divisible by 4.

3. How do I find 4 consecutive numbers that are divisible by 4?

To find 4 consecutive numbers that are divisible by 4, you can start with any number that is divisible by 4 and add 4 to it three times. For example, if you start with 8, the consecutive numbers would be 8, 12, 16, and 20.

4. Can there be more than one set of 4 consecutive numbers that are divisible by 4?

Yes, there can be multiple sets of 4 consecutive numbers that are divisible by 4. For example, starting with 16, the consecutive numbers would be 16, 20, 24, and 28. Another set of consecutive numbers would be 28, 32, 36, and 40.

5. Why is it important for the 4 consecutive numbers to be divisible by 4?

The importance of the 4 consecutive numbers being divisible by 4 depends on the context. In some cases, it may be necessary for a sequence of numbers to be divisible by 4 for the calculations to be accurate. In other cases, it may be a requirement for a specific problem or puzzle.