NH4F Salt Solution: Acidic or Neutral?

• Thread starter temaire
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Salt
In summary, a solution of NH_4F would be acidic due to the Ka for NH4+ being greater than the Kb for F-. However, the pH of the solution would be only slightly acidic, around 6.25, due to the equimolar amounts of weak acid and weak base. This can be justified by the rule that the pH of a solution with equimolar amounts of weak acid and weak base is halfway between the pKa values of both. It is also worth looking into the reason why HF is a weak acid compared to other halogen acids.
temaire

Homework Statement

A solution of [tex]NH_4F[/tex] would be:
a) acidic
b) neutral
c) basic

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the solution would be acidic because it is a salt made of a weak acid and a weak base. Since the Ka for HF is greater than the Kb for NH3, the Ka for NH4+ is greater than the Kb for F-. Thus, the solution is acidic. Am I right?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think your reasoning is sort of OK, however I would like to add for you to make this secure:

I don't know if you are up with pH's and pK's yet, but the pH of solution equimolar amounts of weak acid and weak base is half way between the pKa's of both.

These are about 3.2 and 9.2 so your solution will have pH about 6.25

You are right to say it is acidic if by that you mean anything less than exactly 7. But realize only very slightly acidic. In fact in my book I call that neutral, so I don't know what answer they want, that is the trouble with box-ticking answers, but it is more important you understand than get the 'right answer' IMHO.

Important is can you justify, derive, or look up that rule I gave? (Not quite trivial, but useful result).

Secondly and secondarily you might look into WHY HF is a weak acid. Not quite what you might expect considering HCl, HBr, HI.

Last edited:

1. Is NH4F Salt Solution acidic or neutral?

The NH4F salt solution is considered acidic because it contains the ammonium ion (NH4+) which is a weak acid.

2. How does NH4F Salt Solution become acidic?

The ammonium ion in NH4F salt solution can interact with water molecules, releasing a positively charged hydrogen ion (H+) which makes the solution acidic.

3. What is the pH of NH4F Salt Solution?

The pH of NH4F salt solution can vary, but it typically falls in the range of 4-6, making it slightly acidic.

4. Can the acidity of NH4F Salt Solution be adjusted?

Yes, the acidity of NH4F salt solution can be adjusted by adding a strong base, such as sodium hydroxide, to neutralize the excess hydrogen ions.

5. Are there any applications of NH4F Salt Solution in the laboratory?

Yes, NH4F salt solution is commonly used in laboratory experiments as a source of the fluoride ion (F-). It is also used in the etching process of glass and in the production of certain types of toothpaste.