If the Earth's axis was tilted 45 degrees

In summary, with a 45 degree tilt of Earth's axis, the sun would still rise on Christmas day in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada. However, it may not be in its typical location on the horizon and may require looking 7 degrees to the south. The length of daylight hours may also be affected, with some months having 24-hour sun and others having no sun at all. Further information on equinoxes and solstices in the Manitoba calendar would be needed to accurately determine the sun's position on Christmas day.
Claire55
If the Earth's axis were tilted at 45 degrees, would the sun ever rise on Christmas day in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada?

What I think: I think you would be able to see the sun rise if you look 7 degrees to the south since Manitoba is at 52 degrees but I'm not sure..

Physics news on Phys.org
Claire55 said:
If the Earth's axis were tilted at 45 degrees, would the sun ever rise on Christmas day in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada?

What I think: I think you would be able to see the sun rise if you look 7 degrees to the south since Manitoba is at 52 degrees but I'm not sure..

45 degrees which way? Don't you also need some information on when the equinoxes and solstices are in the Manitoba calendar with the new tilt? Or is the assumption that the Winter Solstice for Manitoba is still near Christmas?

if you mean 45 deg in the same way as the current 23 deg then the arctic circle would be at 45deg latitude and manitoba (7deg north of the new artic circle) would have a few months of no sun, but also a few months of 24hour sun

1. What would happen to the seasons if the Earth's axis was tilted 45 degrees?

If the Earth's axis was tilted 45 degrees, the seasons would be more extreme. This means that summers would be hotter and winters would be colder.

2. How would a 45 degree tilt of the Earth's axis affect the length of a day?

A 45 degree tilt of the Earth's axis would not have a significant effect on the length of a day. One rotation of the Earth would still take approximately 24 hours.

3. Would a 45 degree tilt of the Earth's axis affect the planet's climate?

Yes, a 45 degree tilt of the Earth's axis would greatly impact the planet's climate. It would cause more extreme weather patterns and potentially lead to changes in precipitation and temperature.

4. How would a 45 degree tilt of the Earth's axis affect the distribution of sunlight on the planet?

A 45 degree tilt of the Earth's axis would result in uneven distribution of sunlight on the planet. This would cause certain areas to receive more sunlight, leading to warmer temperatures, while other areas would receive less sunlight and experience colder temperatures.

5. Could a 45 degree tilt of the Earth's axis lead to changes in the Earth's orbit?

No, a 45 degree tilt of the Earth's axis would not impact the Earth's orbit. The Earth's orbit is primarily determined by its distance from the sun and the gravitational pull of other celestial bodies.