Position vector of a moving particle (calc based intro)

In summary, the student is trying to find the average acceleration of a particle moving only in a horizontal xy-plane, and is having difficulty because the acceleration increases at a constant rate.
MurdocJensen

Homework Statement

Reviewing for a midterm. I have this problem I can't seem to nail. Want to try it?

"The acceleration of a particle moving only in a horizontal xy-plane is given by a=<(3t)i,(4t)j>, where 'a' is in m/s^2 and 't' is in seconds. At t=0, the position vector r=<(20)i,(40)j> locates the particle which then has the velocity vector v=<(5)i,(2)j>. At t=4s, what is the particle's position vector in unit-vector notation?"

to clarify units: v is in m/s, a is in m/s^2, position is in meters.

Answer: r=<72i,90.2j>

Homework Equations

The standard kinematics equations, I'm assuming. If calc is involved, I wouldn't know where to implement it.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think it's the acceleration at t=4 seconds that's tripping me up. When I plug in for position in the 'x' or 'y' direction I am using t=4 to multiply with the original acceleration components. Am I not finding acceleration correctly? And wouldn't it stand that if I multiplied an acceleration component by a time I would get a velocity?

Physics news on Phys.org
if you were given x(t) , how would you find a(t) ?
yes, using calculus.
this is the "inverse" question ; they give a(t) ... not constant ... and want x(t)
... so use the "inverse" operation.

lightgrav said:
if you were given x(t) , how would you find a(t) ?
yes, using calculus.
this is the "inverse" question ; they give a(t) ... not constant ... and want x(t)
... so use the "inverse" operation.

Yes, if you want to find acceleration from position you would take two derivatives right?

So if you want to find position from acceleration you would try to "undo" derivatives (don't forget the constants).

This is very helpful, thank you. Now, in general, would I consider integrating and/or differentiating in a situation where my acceleration isn't constant?

I ask because I want to know if there is a way to do this problem with your 'plain-vanilla' kinematics equations.

Actually, let me restate. When should I consider integration and or differentiation in a physics problem?

Here, the acceleration increases at a constant rate (da/dt = jerk = const),
so you _can_ find the average acceleration in a simple route , here .
... if you want to, you can sprinkle a " + 1/6 j t^3" term onto the vanilla
... and dip it in fudge by adding " + 1/24 d t^4 " , etc ... where to stop ?!?

well, you got those "plain-vanilla" kinematic equations via time-derivatives of location .
The better you understand things, the less you need to memorize;
but some things are SO often encountered (like constant accel)
and some derivations are TOO nasty of algebra to do on an Exam.
. . . so, you should memorize a few results (2 per chapter?)

What is a position vector?

A position vector is a mathematical representation of the position of a point in space. It is typically denoted by the symbol r and is expressed in terms of its components in a coordinate system, such as its x, y, and z coordinates.

How is a position vector different from a displacement vector?

A position vector represents the location of a point in space, while a displacement vector represents the change in position of a point. In other words, a position vector is constant for a given point, while a displacement vector can change as the point moves.

What is a moving particle?

A moving particle is a point in space that is changing its position over time. In other words, it is a particle that is in motion.

What is the role of calculus in understanding the position vector of a moving particle?

Calculus allows us to analyze the position vector of a moving particle by looking at its derivatives, such as velocity and acceleration. By using calculus, we can determine important characteristics of the particle's motion, such as its speed, direction, and acceleration.

How can the position vector of a moving particle be represented graphically?

The position vector of a moving particle can be represented graphically as a point moving along a path in a coordinate system. This path can be plotted on a graph, with the x and y coordinates representing the position of the particle at a given time.