Brain Oxygen Deprivation: How Long Can It Last?

In summary, The average time a human brain can survive without oxygen without noticeable damage is about 5 minutes. However, this time frame can vary based on factors such as body temperature and which parts of the brain are affected. Generally, damage begins to occur as soon as the heart stops and oxygen flow to the brain is cut off. In cases of cardiac arrest at normal body temperature, noticeable damage may occur after approximately 2.5 minutes without oxygen.
alpha_wolf
On average, how long can a human brain survive without oxigen without being noticably damaged? Thanks.

Biology news on Phys.org
Usually *they* say it's about 5 min. I don't have a reference on hand, that's just what I've been taught from CPR courses and stuff like that. Though, I do know all bets are off when hypothermia is involved.

It's somewhat difficult to google for this, since I'm not sure which keywords to enter. But I did manage to find this site, which states that:
A human can survive for four minutes without oxygen before the brain damage becomes so severe there is no realistic chance of survival.
Ovbiously, the time limit for unnoticable damage is shorter than that... But how much shorter?

Like moonbear said, it depends for a great deal on the temperature of the body.
But basicaly damage starts to be done the moment the brain is deprived of oxigen.
Also the parts that are effected matter greatly in the question when you start to notice damage.

During freediving I've had the "pleasure" of being witness to several cases of cardiac-arrest, in all cases the time had been more than 2 minutes.
In all cases there was no noticable change in the victims, not even on the long run (ok several of them stopped going to extreme depths).
Ofcourse in these cases the body temperature is lower than normal, possibly contributing to their good survival.
But these are just observations from the side, i don't know to what extend the damage was done.

But again, damage starts being done once the hart stops (and thus the oxigen stream to the brain)

Marijn said:
Like moonbear said, it depends for a great deal on the temperature of the body.
Ok, to focus the question a bit, let's assume cardiac arrest at normal body temperature. Would there be any noticable damage after ~2.5 minutes?
But basicaly damage starts to be done the moment the brain is deprived of oxigen.
Yes, that's why I didn't say "no damage".

1. What happens to the brain during oxygen deprivation?

During oxygen deprivation, the brain is unable to receive the necessary amount of oxygen it needs to function properly. This can lead to a decrease in brain activity and cause damage to brain cells.

2. How long can the brain survive without oxygen?

The brain can only survive for a few minutes without oxygen. After approximately 4-6 minutes, the lack of oxygen can cause irreversible damage to brain cells and can ultimately result in brain death.

3. What are the symptoms of brain oxygen deprivation?

The symptoms of brain oxygen deprivation can vary depending on the severity and duration of the deprivation. Common symptoms include confusion, dizziness, loss of consciousness, and changes in vision or speech. In more severe cases, seizures, coma, and even death can occur.

4. What are the potential causes of brain oxygen deprivation?

Some potential causes of brain oxygen deprivation include drowning, choking, heart attack, stroke, carbon monoxide poisoning, and severe blood loss. These situations can lead to a lack of oxygen reaching the brain, resulting in oxygen deprivation.

5. How can brain oxygen deprivation be treated?

Treatment for brain oxygen deprivation depends on the cause and severity of the condition. In some cases, administering oxygen or performing CPR may help restore oxygen flow to the brain. In more severe cases, medical interventions such as hyperbaric oxygen therapy or medications may be necessary. Rehabilitation therapy may also be recommended to help with any long-term effects of the deprivation on brain function.