Eigenvectors with a repeated eigenvalue

In summary, the given linear system is already diagonal, so there is no need to find eigenvalues and eigenvectors. The general solution can be obtained by solving x'(t) = -2x and y'(t) = -2y, which gives x(t) = Ae^{-2t} and y(t) = Be^{-2t}.
Snippy

Homework Statement

For the following linear system:
[tex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex] = -2x
[tex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/tex] = -2y

Obtain the general solution.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

A= -2 0
0 -2

Using the determinant of A-[tex]\lambda[/tex]I I got a repeated eigenvalue of -2. I am not sure how to get the eigenvectors since substituting -2 back into A-[tex]\lambda[/tex]I will give a matrix of zeroes. I checked with MATLAB and the eigenvectors should be (1,0) and (0,1) but I have no idea how to get them.

Physics news on Phys.org
Snippy said:

Homework Statement

For the following linear system:
[tex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex] = -2x
[tex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/tex] = -2y

Obtain the general solution.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

A= -2 0
0 -2

Using the determinant of A-[tex]\lambda[/tex]I I got a repeated eigenvalue of -2. I am not sure how to get the eigenvectors since substituting -2 back into A-[tex]\lambda[/tex]I will give a matrix of zeroes. I checked with MATLAB and the eigenvectors should be (1,0) and (0,1) but I have no idea how to get them.
I don't see that there is any need for eigenvalues and eigenvectors at all. Your system of equations is uncoupled, which means that in the matrix equation x' = Ax, A is already diagonal.

If you have x'(t) = kx, the solution is x(t) = Aekt, right? Apply this idea to each of the differential equations in your system.

Snippy said:
As Mark44 noted, A is already diagonal, so you don't need to find eigenvectors so you can diagonalize A, but in case you're still wondering, when A-λI=0, any vector x will satisfy (A-λI)x=0, which means every vector x is an eigenvector of A. You can therefore choose any two vectors, like (1,0) and (0,1), as your eigenvectors. (Usually when you have this kind of freedom, it's a good idea to select vectors that are orthogonal to each other.)

What are eigenvectors with a repeated eigenvalue?

Eigenvectors with a repeated eigenvalue are special types of eigenvectors that correspond to a single eigenvalue. In other words, they are vectors that do not change direction after being multiplied by a square matrix, but instead only change in magnitude.

Why are eigenvectors with a repeated eigenvalue important?

Eigenvectors with a repeated eigenvalue are important because they provide valuable information about the behavior of a matrix and its corresponding linear transformation. They can help us understand how a system will behave over time and can be used to solve various mathematical problems.

How can I find eigenvectors with a repeated eigenvalue?

To find eigenvectors with a repeated eigenvalue, you will need to use a method called the Jordan canonical form. This involves finding a basis for the eigenspace corresponding to the repeated eigenvalue and then constructing a matrix with this basis. This matrix will have a specific structure that allows us to easily find the eigenvectors.

Can eigenvectors with a repeated eigenvalue be generalized?

Yes, eigenvectors with a repeated eigenvalue can be generalized to higher dimensional matrices. The Jordan canonical form method can be extended to matrices of any size, allowing us to find eigenvectors with repeated eigenvalues for larger and more complex systems.

What is the significance of the geometric multiplicity of a repeated eigenvalue?

The geometric multiplicity of a repeated eigenvalue is equal to the number of linearly independent eigenvectors corresponding to that eigenvalue. This value tells us how many different directions the matrix is stretching or compressing along that particular eigenvector. It also helps us determine the overall behavior of the system and how it will change over time.