Parallel vs anti parallel electron spin

In summary, a hydrogen atom in its ground state 1s orbital can have either parallel or anti-parallel proton and electron spins. The lower configuration is the anti-parallel one, which is determined by the hyperfine interaction. The splitting of spectral lines is also due to the property of spin. Classical solutions based on magnetic dipoles are incorrect, and quantum mechanics is needed to correctly explain this phenomenon.
dogeatdog

Homework Statement

a hydrogen atom with its electron in the ground state 1s orbital can have proton and electron spins that are either parallel or anti parallel. which is the lower configuration and why? treat the electron as orbiting the proton in a plane perpendicular to the spin of the proton.

Homework Equations

the Heitler London model may have something to do with it but I am not sure.
i also know that the splitting of spectral lines is due to the property of spin

The Attempt at a Solution

im pretty sure the answer is anti parallel but i have no idea why. this was assigned for a general physics class which i think is crazy since we never even talked about anything like this. Please Help or steer me in the right direction or something. thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest you look up the hyperfine interaction. Hydrogen is a famous case leading to the 21 cm hydrogen line used in radio astronomy.

Without calculations, I would answer based on opposite poles of magnets attracting. For a bit more detail, use the energy of a magnetic dipole in a B field.

Cruikshank said:
Without calculations, I would answer based on opposite poles of magnets attracting. For a bit more detail, use the energy of a magnetic dipole in a B field.

The classical solution of magnetic field and dipoles is incorrect in this case. It turns out you have to use quantum mechanics to get the right solution for this problem.

I can provide some explanation for the concept of parallel and anti parallel electron spin in a hydrogen atom. In quantum mechanics, the electron spin is a fundamental property of an electron and it can have two possible orientations, either parallel or anti parallel to the spin of the proton. The ground state of a hydrogen atom has the lowest energy and the electron is found in the 1s orbital. According to the Heitler-London model, the electron in the 1s orbital is in a spherical distribution around the proton, with no preferred direction for its spin.

Now, when we consider the orientation of the electron spin, we need to take into account the effect of the magnetic field created by the spin of the proton. A parallel electron spin means that the electron is spinning in the same direction as the proton, creating a stronger magnetic field and resulting in a higher energy state. On the other hand, an anti parallel electron spin means that the electron is spinning in the opposite direction to the proton, creating a weaker magnetic field and resulting in a lower energy state.

In the case of a hydrogen atom, the electron is orbiting the proton in a plane perpendicular to the proton's spin. This means that the electron can either spin in the same direction as the proton (parallel) or in the opposite direction (anti parallel). Since the anti parallel configuration has a lower energy state, it is the more stable configuration for the hydrogen atom.

The splitting of spectral lines, as you have mentioned, is due to the property of spin. This is known as the Zeeman effect, where the energy levels of an atom are split into sub-levels due to the interaction between the electron spin and the external magnetic field.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the concept of parallel and anti parallel electron spin in a hydrogen atom. The key point to remember is that the anti parallel configuration has a lower energy state, making it the more stable configuration.

1. What is the difference between parallel and anti-parallel electron spin?

Parallel electron spin refers to two electrons having the same spin orientation, either both spinning in the same direction (up-up or down-down), while anti-parallel electron spin refers to two electrons having opposite spin orientations, with one spinning up and the other spinning down.

2. How does parallel and anti-parallel electron spin affect the stability of an atom or molecule?

In general, anti-parallel electron spin results in increased stability for an atom or molecule, as the opposing spin orientations create a repulsive force that helps to keep the particles apart. Parallel spin, on the other hand, results in a weaker attractive force between particles, which can lead to less stability.

3. Can parallel and anti-parallel electron spin be observed in everyday objects?

Yes, parallel and anti-parallel electron spin can be observed in everyday objects. For example, certain materials such as iron have a high concentration of parallel electron spins, which is what gives them their magnetic properties. In contrast, materials like copper have a high concentration of anti-parallel electron spins, which is why they are not magnetic.

4. How is electron spin related to the Pauli exclusion principle?

The Pauli exclusion principle states that no two electrons in an atom can have the same set of quantum numbers. This is directly related to electron spin, as the spin quantum number is one of the four quantum numbers that describe an electron's state. This means that only two electrons can occupy the same orbital, one with spin up and one with spin down, leading to the principle of anti-parallel spin pairing.

5. What applications does the understanding of parallel and anti-parallel electron spin have in technology?

The understanding of parallel and anti-parallel electron spin has many applications in technology. For example, it is crucial in the development of magnetic storage devices, such as hard drives, where the manipulation of electron spin allows for data to be stored and retrieved. Additionally, this understanding is also important in the development of quantum computing, where the manipulation of electron spin is used to encode and process information.