Maximizing Your Career Path: Advice for Dual Majoring in Math and Physics

• Thread starter Phresh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Path
In summary, the expert summarizer thinks that it is hard to get into a second major in physics at a university, and that a second major in math would not be a good fit for the individual.
Phresh
Hi.
I am extremely new to this wonderful forum. I am hoping that I can receive the same awesome advice as the other members on this forum.

Background about me-

I am second year math(B.S.) student who is quite adept at mathematics and was advised to cross over and achieve a second degree physics(B.S.). I have already passed all the lower level math classes like Calculus I, II, and III as well as Diff. Eq. 1 with A's, but I don't know if that well be of that much help.

Situation-

I was only recently advised to dual major in math and physics by a group my professors. I can tell that having a strong math background well definitely help, but I don't know of how much.

I have yet to take any physics classes. I do youtube lectures from MIT, Stanford and many others -(calculus based physics 1 and 2). While thoroughly comprehending most of what is taught and extremely enjoying it. I can not decide on how I show go about taking the courses. I think I am set for the first to gen phys classes but I am not sure about the level of commitment/difficultly the upper division physics classes require/ are set at.

If there is anything anyone can recommend from passed experiences like reference books, videos, in what order I should take my math and physic, so that I can a better change to succeed. If anyone can give any advice on this matter, it would be really awesome.

Thanks Phresh.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Not that there's anything wrong with double-majoring in physics and math, but you don't explain why you want to do this. Most people I know who major in both these subjects plan on being physicists and want to make sure they know a lot of math. If you want to be a mathematician, I don't really see how a second major in physics could help you.

Based on my experience at my school, if you're already a 2nd year student, it would be hard (though possible) to get a second major in physics. It'll take careful planning and I would strongly suggest talking to your professors or advisor for help in class selection. They would also be good people to ask what books to read to help prepare for classes, etc.

From what I hear, MIT opencourseware is a good resource. Or you could just ask the physics majors at your school what books they use.

sweetpotato said:
Based on my experience at my school, if you're already a 2nd year student, it would be hard (though possible) to get a second major in physics. It'll take careful planning and I would strongly suggest talking to your professors or advisor for help in class selection. They would also be good people to ask what books to read to help prepare for classes, etc.

My engneering 1 / diff eq 1 prof advised me to try to switch over. He ask me one day what I was going for and I told I math because I like to build, design, and figure out how thing work. Then he advised me to change my major to an engineering degree; however, I do not want go into a specific engineering b.s. like mechanical or software. I just don't like the idea of just being a specific type of scientist/engineer/mathematician. I am pretty much going to school cause I like to understand how things work and not because I want a degree that pays. So he told me to try a double major in physics because he thinks it would be good fit for me. Oh I also told him I that I don't want to stop a b.s. so that was probably another reason.

Also I am actually only about 40 credits way for getting my b.s. in math, and I go all year about 18 credit a sem +- 2. It is actually better for me to stay and all the financial aid I am in titled to. It won't be that hard to start a major in physics since I have the 1st 70 credits out the way, but I the reason I am worried is because I don't know how tough it can get. I would like to try out a major in physics because I think the ideas and concept are awesome, but I want to know how grueling it can be before I choose to duel major.

Last edited:

What career options are available in the science field?

The science field offers a wide range of career options, including but not limited to: research scientist, laboratory technician, science teacher, environmental scientist, data analyst, biotechnologist, pharmaceutical researcher, and many more.

What academic qualifications are needed for a career in science?

Most careers in science require at least a bachelor's degree in a related field, such as biology, chemistry, physics, or environmental science. Some positions may also require a master's or doctoral degree.

How can I decide which science career path is right for me?

It's important to consider your interests, strengths, and goals when choosing a science career path. Research different options, talk to professionals in the field, and gain hands-on experience through internships or volunteer opportunities to help you make an informed decision.

What are the benefits of joining an academy or specialized program for science?

Academies and specialized programs offer a focused and rigorous education in a specific area of science, which can give you a competitive edge in the job market. These programs also often provide hands-on experience and networking opportunities with professionals in the field.

Are there any resources or organizations that can help me with my science career/academy path?

Yes, there are many resources and organizations available to help with your science career or academy path. Some examples include professional science associations, career counseling services, and mentorship programs. It's also helpful to connect with your school's career center or academic advisor for personalized support.