Design of a reinforced concrete beam

In summary: Determine the maximum ultimate limit state bending moment for beam b9 (it spans 6m); (2) Determine the position of the Neutral axis; (3) Determine the stress in the reinforcement at Ultimate Limit State; (4) Determine the ultimate moment capacity of the section; (5) Determine if the proposed section is over reinforced or under reinforced; (6) Determine if the section is adequate for the design actions as determined in Part (i); (7) Determine the ultimate moment capacity of the section from first principles; (8) Determine if the proposed section is over reinforced or under reinforced; (9) Determine the ultimate moment capacity of the section if the limits of 'good design practice' are applied; (
mashleyk
I need help answering this question.

So there's a slab beam and column layout of a reinforced concrete structure. Beam dimensions for all beams are as follows b = 250mm and h= 400mm

(i) Determine the maximum ultimate limit state bending moment for beam b9 (it spans 6m)

(ii) From first principles determine the following for beam b9 when the beam size is as noted and the main reinforcing bars are 3H25's :
(a) The position of the Neutral axis
(b) The stress in the reinforcement at Ultimate Limit State
(c) The ultimate moment capacity of the section
(d) Is the proposed section over reinforced or under reinforced?
(e) Is the section adequate for the design actions as determined in Part (i)?

(iii) Determine the following for beam B9 when the beam size is as noted and the main reinforcing bars are 3H32's:
(a) The ultimate moment capacity of the section from first principles
(b) Is the proposed section over reinforced or under reinforced?
(c) The ultimate moment capacity of the section if the limits of 'good design practice' are applied.
(d) How is the ultimate moment capacity of the section affected by applying the limits of 'good design practice'?

It must be done using EUROCODES

I know how to do part (i) But I can't figure out the rest and I am terribly stuck! If anyone could even show me how to do a bit. I know the drawing is not up here but I just need to know how to work it out! Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Mashleyek, You might be better off going to someone in person for a bit of tutoring or a textbook. Short of that you might try narrowing your question(s) down to a principle or a more specific point that you are hung up on. S

Likes Nitin singh

1. What is a reinforced concrete beam?

A reinforced concrete beam is a structural element designed to support vertical loads by resisting bending forces. It is typically made of concrete and steel reinforcement bars to increase its strength and durability.

2. How is a reinforced concrete beam designed?

A reinforced concrete beam is designed by considering the required strength and stiffness, as well as the loads and support conditions it will be subjected to. This involves calculating the required reinforcement ratio, selecting appropriate reinforcement bars, and determining the dimensions of the beam.

3. What factors affect the design of a reinforced concrete beam?

The design of a reinforced concrete beam is influenced by various factors such as the type and intensity of loads, the span of the beam, the support conditions, and the properties of the materials used. Other factors include construction constraints, safety requirements, and building codes.

4. How is the strength of a reinforced concrete beam determined?

The strength of a reinforced concrete beam is determined by calculating the maximum bending moment and comparing it to the design capacity of the beam. This is done by considering the strength of the concrete and steel reinforcement, as well as the geometry and dimensions of the beam.

5. What are the advantages of using reinforced concrete beams?

Reinforced concrete beams have several advantages, including high strength and durability, ease of construction, and versatility in design. They also have a longer lifespan compared to other building materials and can withstand a wide range of loads and environmental conditions.