Moment of Inertia of 2-Spheres Connected by Rod

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of moment of inertia for two solid spheres attached by a massless rod and rotating about two different axes. The conversation also explores the use of the parallel and perpendicular axes theorems. The conversation ends with a discussion on the location of the center of mass and its relationship to the moment of inertia calculation.
bjnartowt

Homework Statement

What is: Moment of inertia of two solid spheres, radii each r[0], attached by massless rod which is also of length r[0], so that the distance between the two solid spheres' centres is "3*r[0]"?

The axis of rotation could either be 1) through both spheres and along the connecting-rod or 2) through the connecting rod so that the two spheres "orbit" about in a radius of 1.5*r[0]. I know how to get either by the parallel and perpendicular axes theorems.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

We stick an axis of rotation through a sphere, and turn, turn, turn:
[itex]{I_{solid{\rm{ }}sphere,{\rm{ }}radius{\rm{ }}{r_0}}} = \int_{sphere} {{R^2} \cdot dm} = ...{\rm{steps I know}}... = {\textstyle{2 \over 3}}M{r_0}^2[/itex]
Now: imagine translating: instead of rotation through the sphere’s symmetry axis, let’s rotate through that point on the massless-connecting rod. In general:
[itex]\begin{array}{c}
{I_{solid{\rm{ }}sphere,{\rm{ translated by }}{\rho _0}}} = \int_{sphere} {{{(R + {\rho _0})}^2} \cdot dm} \\
= \int_{sphere} {{R^2} \cdot dm} + \int_{sphere} {{\rho _0}^2 \cdot dm} + \int_{sphere} {2{\rho _0}R \cdot dm} \\
{I_{solid{\rm{ }}sphere,{\rm{ translated by }}{\rho _0}}} = {\textstyle{2 \over 3}}M{r_0}^2 + M{\rho _0}^2 + 2{\rho _0}\int_{sphere} {R \cdot dm} \\
\end{array}[/itex]
In specifics: our problem calls for:
[itex]{\rho _0} = 1.5{r_0}[/itex]
My question:
[itex]\int_{sphere} {R \cdot dm} = ?[/itex]

I have a feeling I’m going down a blind-alley, though. This is from Giancoli’s book, and I think there’s a shorter way to do the calculation…

Physics news on Phys.org

That integral would be 0. The first moment is the location of the center of mass.

You made a mistake in setting up your initial integral. The distance from the axis of rotation to the mass dm isn't simply (ρ0+R); it's [itex]|\vec{\rho}_0+\vec{r}|[/itex], where [itex]\vec{\rho}_0[/itex] is the vector from the axis of rotation to the center of the sphere and [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] is the vector from the center of the sphere to the bit of mass dm.

vela said:
That integral would be 0. The first moment is the location of the center of mass.

But the location of the centre of mass would have units of metres, not kilogram*metres as that integral has?

Right. I should have said it's proportional to the location of the center of mass.

vela said:
Right. I should have said it's proportional to the location of the center of mass.

Oh! I see it now. What you're describing would be the numerator of the mass-centre formula:

[tex]{x_{CM}} = \frac{{\int {x \cdot \rho (x) \cdot dx} }}{{\int {\rho (x) \cdot dx} }}[/tex]

...right? If so, I definitely see why:

[tex]2 \cdot {\rho _0} \cdot \int {r \cdot dm} = 0 = {\rm{very yes!}}[/tex]

...because we have chosen the origin of our coordinate system to be the centre-of-mass of the rotating body (I think without me realizing it), and so the centre-of-mass would have a zero that would kill it before the "missing":

[tex]\int {\rho \cdot dm} [/tex]

...would effect its dividing power on the already-zero-by-coordinate system denominator.

Okay, you prolly got a little more about how my brain works than you wanted to, but I think you answered my question. (Or maybe, worse yet, I'm wrong and think I'm right). Thanks vela : )

1. What is the moment of inertia of 2-spheres connected by a rod?

The moment of inertia of 2-spheres connected by a rod is a measure of their resistance to rotational motion. In simpler terms, it is a measure of how difficult it is to make the spheres rotate around the rod. This value is dependent on the mass and distribution of the spheres and the length of the connecting rod.

2. How is the moment of inertia calculated for this system?

The moment of inertia for this system can be calculated using the formula I = I1 + I2 + MD2, where I1 and I2 are the moments of inertia of the individual spheres, M is the total mass of the system, and D is the distance between the centers of the spheres.

3. What factors affect the moment of inertia of 2-spheres connected by a rod?

The moment of inertia of this system is affected by the mass and distribution of the spheres, as well as the length of the connecting rod. The moment of inertia also depends on the axis of rotation - it will be different for different axes passing through the center of mass of the system.

4. How does the moment of inertia change if the spheres are of different masses?

If the spheres are of different masses, the moment of inertia will be affected. The larger and more massive sphere will have a greater moment of inertia compared to the smaller and less massive sphere. However, the distance between the centers of the spheres will also play a role in determining the overall moment of inertia of the system.

5. Can the moment of inertia of 2-spheres connected by a rod be changed?

Yes, the moment of inertia of this system can be changed. It can be altered by changing the mass and distribution of the spheres or by changing the length of the connecting rod. The moment of inertia can also be changed by changing the axis of rotation.