Matrix Properties : A2 + 6A +9I3 = 0, show that A is invertible

In summary, the matrix A is similar to a triangular matrix B. This matrix B also satisfied B2+6B+9I3=0. However, since B is triangular, it is easy to see that it must have -3's on it's diagonal. Thus the determinant is -9, and hence the matrix is invertible.
Boom101
Matrix Properties

Hello, I am having difficulties with this question. A^2+6A+9I3 = 0. A is a 3x3 matrix. I must show that A is invertible. I am tempted to factor but this problem deals with matrices. I know this is wrong but I come to A2+3A+3A+9=0 (does 9I3 = 9, since 9 is a constant?), then A(A+3) + 3(A+3) = 0 but I have no idea what to do after.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Doesn't

[tex]\left( \begin{array}{ccc}
-3 & 0 & 0\\
0 & -3 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0
\end{array} \right) [/tex]

Constitute a counter-example? Or am I going senile? :smile:

Yeah I knew what I did was wrong. In any case, I have no idea how to show that A is invertible.

Ok, ignore my above post. I WAS being senile...

What about this approach? the matrix A is similar to a triangular matrix B. This matrix B also satisfied B2+6B+9I3=0. But since B is triangular, it is easy to see that it must have -3's on it's diagonal. Thus the determinant is -9, and hence the matrix is invertible.

Boom101 said:
Hello, I am having difficulties with this question. A is a 3x3 matrix, the first A is squared, and I3 is the 3x3 identity matrix. I must show that A is invertible. I am tempted to factor but this problem deals with matrices. I know this is wrong but I come to A2+3A+3A+9=0
At the very least, write A^2 to indicate the square of a matrix. Better yet would be A2. For the latter form, click the Go Advanced button below the text input area, and then click the X2 button in the menu just above the text input area, and put an exponent of 2 in between the [ sup] and [ /sup] tags.
Boom101 said:
(does 9I3 = 9, since 9 is a constant?)
No, 9I3 does not equal 9. 9I3 is a diagonal matrix with 9's down the main diagonal.
Boom101 said:
, then A(A+3) + 3(A+3) = 0 but I have no idea what to do after.
A2 + 6A + 9I = 0 can be factored to (A + 3I)2 = 0. One thing that we can say from this is that |A + 3I| = 0.

If A is not invertible, then there is a nonzero vector x such that Ax=0. Is that compatible with A^2+6A+9I=0?

If [itex]A^2+ 6A+ 9I= 0[/itex] then [itex]A^2+ 6A= A(A+ 6I)= 9I[/itex] so that [itex]A[(A+ 6I)/9]= I[/itex].

Do see how that tells you that A is invertible?

Thanks Ivy

Last edited:
I have the same question, I don't see how the matrix is invertible, can anyone please explain?

It's inverse is (A+6I)/9

Thank you!

1. What is the meaning of "A2 + 6A + 9I3 = 0" in the context of matrix properties?

In matrix notation, this equation represents a polynomial function of the matrix A. It is commonly used to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a matrix, which are important properties in linear algebra.

2. How does this equation show that A is invertible?

If A is invertible, it means that there exists a matrix B which, when multiplied by A, will result in the identity matrix. Substituting this identity matrix (represented by I3) into the original equation, we get A2 + 6A + 9I3 = A(A + 6I3) = 0. Since A cannot be zero (otherwise it would not be invertible), this means that (A + 6I3) must equal the zero matrix. Therefore, A must have a multiplicative inverse and is invertible.

3. What is the significance of the constant 6 in the equation A2 + 6A + 9I3 = 0?

The constant 6 represents a scalar multiple of the identity matrix (represented by I3), which is a special matrix that has a value of 1 along the main diagonal and 0 elsewhere. In this equation, the scalar multiple is 6, which is significant because it ensures that A has an inverse and is invertible.

4. Can this equation be used to find the inverse of a non-square matrix?

No, this equation only applies to square matrices (where the number of rows and columns are equal). It is a necessary but not sufficient condition for a matrix to be invertible.

5. How is this equation related to the concept of eigenvalues and eigenvectors?

The equation A2 + 6A + 9I3 = 0 is related to the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a matrix because it is a characteristic polynomial equation. By solving this equation, we can find the eigenvalues of A, which are the roots of the polynomial. The eigenvectors of A can then be found by plugging these eigenvalues back into the equation and solving for the corresponding eigenvectors.