Closed continuous surjective map and normal spaces

In summary: I'll have to try that one later.In summary, the author used the following lemma to try and prove that homework statement X is normal: given a closed set A and an open set U containing A, there exists an open set V containing A and whose closure is contained in U. By continuity, f^-1(A) is closed in X, and f^-1(U) is open in X. Further on, f^-1(U) is an open neighborhood of f^-1(A), since it contains f^-1(A). If we apply the lemma above to these sets, we can find an open set V which satisfies the criterion, since X is regular. Since
radou
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Let p : X --> Y be a closed, continuous and surjective map. Show that if X is normal, so is Y.

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the following lemma:

X is normal iff given a closed set A and open set U containing A, there is an open set V containing A and whose closure is contained in U.

So, let A be a closed set in Y, and U some neighborhood of A. By continuity, f^-1(A) is closed in X, and f^-1(U) is open in X. Further on, f^-1(U) is an open neighborhood of f^-1(A), since it contains f^-1(A). If we apply the lemma above to these sets, we can find an open set V which satisfies the criterion, since X is regular. Since p is a closed map, the image of Cl(V) is closed, and since all the inclusions remain preserved, Y is normal.

By the way, just to check, the requirement for p to be surjective was because we have chosen a set in Y, and surjectivity guarantees that this set has a well-defined preimage, right?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the idea is correct. But you did use surjectivity in an essential way. Let me point out where: you have the following situation in X:

[tex]f^{-1}(A)\subseteq V\subseteq Cl(V)\subseteq f^{-1}(U)[/tex]

By taking the image of f, you obtain

[tex]f(f^{-1}(A))\subseteq f(Cl(V))\subseteq f(f^{-1}(U))[/tex]

This is not want you want... You want

[tex]A\subseteq f(Cl(V))\subseteq U[/tex]

This is where surjectivity comes in, since then it holds that [tex]f(f^{-1}(A))=A[/tex].

Also f(V) is not necessairily open...

micromass said:
Also f(V) is not necessairily open...

Oh yes, I forgot the set we're looking for needs to be open! Hm, how could I make that right?

Actually, hold on, I just remembered there's a hint in the book - I'll think it through first.

Ah yes, I can see there's a hint. I don't think it is possible to prove this without that hint...

What that hint asks you to prove, is actually equivalent to closedness of maps...

I think I see how I can prove it with using the hint, but I have problems proving the hint :) I'll continue thinking about it, but it's starting to drive me crazy.

You should only use closedness for proving the hint. I'll get you started:

Take U open such that [tex]p^{-1}(y)\subseteq U[/tex]. Then [tex]X\setminus U[/tex] is closed. The closedness of p yields that [tex]p(X\setminus U)[/tex] is closed. Thus [tex]W:=Y\setminus p(X\setminus U)[/tex] is open. Now show that this W satisfies all our desires...

p^-1(W) = p^-1(Y) \ p^-1(p(X\U)) = X \ p^-1(p(X\U)), and since X\U[tex]\subseteq[/tex]p^-1(p(X\U)), p^-1(W) is contained in U, right?

Now, apply out hint to the set V, which is open and contains p^-1({a}), for any a in A, we can find a neighborhood Wa of a such that p^-1(Wa) is contained in V.

Now, any Wa is contained in p(V), so the union W of all the Wa's along the set A is contained in p(V), right? And hence, in p(Cl(V)), too. SO, the closure of W is contained in p(CL(V)), so W and its closure are the sets we needed to find.

Uhh, I feel this is very slippery.

Yes, that seems all correct. There's just one thing: you didn't prove the hint completely: you still need to show that W is a neighbourhood of y (thus [tex]y\in W[/tex]), but this shouldn't give to much of a problem.

Well W = Y \ p(X\U) contains all the images of the elements in U, right? And some elements must map to y.

Yes! It seems you've solved the problem then :smile:

Excellent! Thanks!

Btw, I have a feeling I'll be needing that "hint" on some other problems :) It's interesting how "at a first glance moderately easy" problems can cause a respectable amount of trouble.

Yes, you will need the hint on problem 7 to :smile: and the hint is also used in problem 12, page 172. It's a neat trick and worth knowing about...

micromass said:
Yes, you will need the hint on problem 7 to :smile: and the hint is also used in problem 12, page 172. It's a neat trick and worth knowing about...

Oh yes, the problem 12 on page 172 is a problem I skipped, and I see there's the same hint there.

1. What is a closed continuous surjective map?

A closed continuous surjective map is a function between two topological spaces that is both continuous and maps every point in the domain to a point in the codomain. Additionally, the preimage of any closed set in the codomain must be a closed set in the domain.

2. What is the significance of a closed continuous surjective map?

A closed continuous surjective map is significant because it preserves important topological properties, such as compactness and connectedness. It is also a key tool in proving theorems related to topological spaces, such as the Brouwer fixed point theorem.

3. How is a closed continuous surjective map related to normal spaces?

A normal space is a topological space that satisfies a certain separation axiom, which ensures that certain sets can be separated by open sets. Closed continuous surjective maps play a crucial role in proving that normal spaces have this property.

4. Can a closed continuous surjective map exist between two non-normal spaces?

Yes, it is possible for a closed continuous surjective map to exist between two non-normal spaces. However, in this case, the map may not preserve all topological properties, and it may not be as useful in proving theorems.

5. Are there any real-world applications of closed continuous surjective maps and normal spaces?

Yes, closed continuous surjective maps and normal spaces have various applications in fields such as topology, physics, and computer science. For example, they are used in the study of dynamical systems, optimization problems, and data analysis.