Discovering new species of dinosaurs

• Thread starter rajesh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dinosaurs
In summary, a group of paleontologists discovered a new species of dinosaur, but the first discovered fossil was missing a skull. One of the discoverers gave it an innovative name, which was a surprise as most paleontologists give complex scientific names. The conversation then shifts to asking for the name and the inspiration behind it, with one person expressing interest in paleontology and another in biology. However, the name is not mentioned and the conversation ends with someone asking for the name again and providing their email address for the answer.
rajesh
Most paleontologists, on discovering new species of dinosaurs, give them exceedingly convoluted scientific names. So, it came as a surprise to find an interestingly named dinosaur. The story goes that once, a new species of dinosaur was discovered by a group of paleontologists, but the first discovered fossil was missing a skull. This inspired one of its discoverers to give it an innovative name. I don't want its complete scientific name, but what was the main inspiration behind it?

Biology news on Phys.org
hm.. maybe i understand you wrong, but when you ask for the inspiration behind giving the name, it would be good to know the name.
Or are you asking for both of them?

I'm personally interested in paleontology, so i would be interested in knowing the name.

greets
Soeren

I also don't know the name It would be nice if u tell both.

BTW, r u into biology?

hm...
i think, i read something about something like that some time ago, but i don't know where that was.

maybe i find it in the next time.

r u into biology?
Not really,
but more zoology, than genetics and biochemistry and so on..

greets
soeren

please try to recall...its a kinda urgent

rajesh said:
please try to recall...its a kinda urgent
hi!

i saw ur quote.

i too am interested in knowing the answer.

do share with me.

BTW my e-ddress is scrsi@yahoo.co.in
:smile:

1. What is the process for discovering a new species of dinosaur?

The process for discovering a new species of dinosaur typically involves excavating and studying fossil remains, comparing them to known species, and consulting with other experts in the field. This can take years of research and analysis before a new species is officially recognized.

2. How do scientists determine the age of a newly discovered dinosaur?

Scientists use various methods to determine the age of a newly discovered dinosaur. This can include radiometric dating of the surrounding rocks or using other fossils found in the same layer of sediment as the dinosaur. Additionally, the size, shape, and condition of the bones can provide clues about the dinosaur's age.

3. How do new species of dinosaurs get their names?

New species of dinosaurs are typically named by the scientists who discover them. The name usually reflects a unique characteristic of the dinosaur, such as its appearance, behavior, or where it was found. The name is then submitted for review and approval by the scientific community.

4. How many new species of dinosaurs are discovered each year?

The number of new species of dinosaurs discovered each year varies, but on average, about 50 new species are described and named by scientists. This number is constantly changing as new discoveries are made and existing fossils are re-examined.

5. Do scientists ever discover living species of dinosaurs?

No, scientists have not discovered any living species of dinosaurs. Dinosaurs went extinct approximately 66 million years ago, and their descendants are the birds we see today. However, scientists continue to study and discover new information about extinct dinosaurs and their behavior through fossils.