Need to demonstrate 44 Newtons of force

In summary: Movable pulley on the other hand, reduces the force needed by half.In summary, a medical doctor is looking for a standardized way to demonstrate the force needed to perform Sellick's maneuver, which requires 44 Newtons of pressure on the front of the neck. The doctor is considering using a 10 lb dumbbell or a simple pulley to show students how much force is needed. A fixed pulley would be a more accurate representation as it does not change the force magnitude, while a movable pulley reduces the force needed by half.
stephejo
I hope someone can help me.

I am a medical doctor and need to have a standardized way to demonstrate the force needed to press on the front of the cricoid ring of the larynx (neck) in order to occlude the esophagus (Sellick's maneuver) with the patient lying supine... so the thumb and forefinger press on the front of the neck with 44N.

The studies specify 44 Newtons. How much is that. Looks to me like 10lbs or 4.5kg on earth.

Is there an easy model that I can make and pass around the lecture room to show what about 44N "feels like"??

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not just get a 10 lb dumbbell? Or a 10 lb plate for a barbell set?

If you want to have fun, make a lever that requires 10 lbs of force to depress--then students can see just how hard they must push with thumb and forefinger.

It's been a long time since college physics... is a simple pulley the same as a lever? If I make a pulley with 10lb and pushing down the end of the pulley the same thing?

Thanks!

My first thought was to use some sort of top loading scale. Maybe like this.
4724_100X100.jpg

stephejo said:
It's been a long time since college physics... is a simple pulley the same as a lever? If I make a pulley with 10lb and pushing down the end of the pulley the same thing?
Sure, that would work. (There are a zillion ways to go.)

Perfect idea.

Thanks!

stephejo said:

Thanks!
Fixed pulley, yes. Fixed pulley does not change the force magnitude. Only direction.

1. How is force measured?

Force is typically measured in units of Newtons (N) using a force meter or scale.

2. What is the significance of 44 Newtons of force?

44 Newtons of force is equivalent to about 9.8 pounds of force, which is the amount of force exerted by gravity on a mass of 1 kilogram.

3. How can I demonstrate 44 Newtons of force?

To demonstrate 44 Newtons of force, you can use a force meter or scale to pull or push an object with a mass of approximately 4.5 kilograms.

4. Can 44 Newtons of force cause harm?

44 Newtons of force can cause harm, depending on the context. For example, this amount of force can be harmful to a human body if applied in a concentrated area, but may not cause harm if distributed over a larger surface area.

5. What are some real-life examples of 44 Newtons of force?

Some real-life examples of 44 Newtons of force include the weight of a small bag of apples, the force needed to push a shopping cart, or the force used to lift a small child.

Back