Help Growth Models - Derivates

In summary, the conversation discusses an individual's doubts and questions regarding different growth models and their derivatives. The individual is working on their graduate project and is seeking clarification on how to continue their analysis. They also mention that they are not a physics student, but an agronomist. The expert provides a differentiation of the Gauss function and addresses the individual's concerns about the parameters in the derivative.
acocac
Hi! I am amateur in mathemathicals growth models but I am doing my graduated work in adjust five differents models in some growth parameters in onion,

[PLAIN]http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/2929/models.png

So my doubt is basically in a derivate for gauss model, i can't derivate this model and it had been adjust for some parameters. So i need to know a derivate for continue my growth analysis.

Also, I just don't know if a sentence of that model is right or wrong, same for others models and their derivates. I read some books about nonlinear models and found diferents expressions in Monomolecular, logistic and Richards models, so i put as options (1 and 2). I also have doubt which are right.

Im grateful with your helps. I'm not physics student, I'm agronomist so you could know better,

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
If you just go ahead and differentiate the Gauss function, [itex]Y= \alpha e^{-k(t-\gamma)^2} you get
[tex]\frac{dY}{dt}= -2k\alpha (t- \gamma)e^{-k(t-\gamma)^}[/tex]
which is the same as
[tex]\frac{dY}{dt}a= -2k(t- \gamma)Y[/tex]

I see no difference at all between your "options" for the Logistic Equation and only differences in the way the constants are written for the exponential and Richards equations.

Fixed the LaTeX for readability.
HallsofIvy said:
If you just go ahead and differentiate the Gauss function, [tex]Y= \alpha e^{-k(t-\gamma)^2}[/tex] you get
[tex]\frac{dY}{dt}= -2k\alpha (t- \gamma)e^{-k(t-\gamma)^}[/tex]
which is the same as
[tex]\frac{dY}{dt}a= -2k(t- \gamma)Y[/tex]

I see no difference at all between your "options" for the Logistic Equation and only differences in the way the constants are written for the exponential and Richards equations.

Thanks Mr. Hall,

But i don't know if I am wrong but when you showed a derivate, it should be dY/dt so i don't understand but parameters as gama and t shouldn't be in the derivate as you can see as others models.

I hope you could understand,

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your growth models and derivatives. I understand the importance of accurately representing and analyzing data in order to make meaningful conclusions.

To address your question about the derivative for the gauss model, it would be helpful to know what specific parameters you are adjusting and how you are fitting the model to your data. The derivative for the gauss model depends on the specific form of the model and the parameters being adjusted. It may be helpful to consult with a mathematician or statistician for assistance with this specific problem.

As for the other models, it is important to carefully check the equations and expressions to ensure that they are correct. This can be done by comparing them to other sources and consulting with experts in the field. It is also important to consider the assumptions and limitations of each model in order to choose the most appropriate one for your data.

I hope this helps and wish you success in your graduate work. Don't hesitate to reach out for further assistance if needed.

Best,

1. What is a growth model in science?

A growth model in science is a mathematical representation of how an organism or system grows and changes over time. It is used to make predictions and understand patterns in growth.

2. What are derivatives in growth models?

Derivatives in growth models refer to the rate of change of a variable with respect to another variable. In other words, it is the slope of the growth curve at a specific point.

3. How are derivatives used in growth models?

Derivatives are used in growth models to calculate the instantaneous rate of growth at a specific point in time. This information can then be used to make predictions about future growth and understand the underlying mechanisms of growth.

4. What are some common types of growth models?

Common types of growth models include exponential growth models, logistic growth models, and Gompertz growth models. Each of these models has its own set of assumptions and equations to describe growth patterns.

5. What are some applications of growth models in science?

Growth models have a wide range of applications in science, including studying population growth, understanding the spread of diseases, predicting crop yields, and analyzing economic growth. They are also used in fields such as ecology, biology, and economics.