Photoshop Help: Making a Background Transparent

• Thread starter GeorginaS
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photoshop
In summary: Thanks, again!In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with creating a transparent background for a logo image. The individual is struggling with using Photoshop and is seeking help in isolating the line-drawing image and turning the background transparent. Suggestions are given, including using the .gif format and layering in Photoshop to achieve the desired effect. A YouTube video is also referenced for further guidance.
GeorginaS
I'm not certain if this is the right area to post this, but I'm sure if it needs moving, a mentor will take pity on me, be kind, and move it.

Anyway, a friend of mine has a logo image that she only has a scan of. It's a black outline drawing on a white background. I have it in both a .tiff format and .jpg format. She needs it for both online use on a webpage and touchy-feely printing use for business cards and letterhead.

The problem is the background. I'm pretty certain what I need to do is isolate the line-drawing image and turn the background transparent so we can place it on any colour background and not have a square around it.

For the life of me, I'm having a massive brain-cramp and can't figure out how to make that happen. I have Photoshop; I'm just spectacularly bad with it.

Any help, suggestions, instructions, anything would be hugely appreciated.

Computer science news on Phys.org
GeorginaS said:
I'm not certain if this is the right area to post this, but I'm sure if it needs moving, a mentor will take pity on me, be kind, and move it.

Anyway, a friend of mine has a logo image that she only has a scan of. It's a black outline drawing on a white background. I have it in both a .tiff format and .jpg format. She needs it for both online use on a webpage and touchy-feely printing use for business cards and letterhead.

The problem is the background. I'm pretty certain what I need to do is isolate the line-drawing image and turn the background transparent so we can place it on any colour background and not have a square around it.

For the life of me, I'm having a massive brain-cramp and can't figure out how to make that happen. I have Photoshop; I'm just spectacularly bad with it.

Any help, suggestions, instructions, anything would be hugely appreciated.

If you can save in .gif format then that format has an option to make a colour transparent, which may be available at save time. If your tools don't support transparent option, there's a website which can be used to turn a non-transparent GIF into a transparent one: http://stuff.mit.edu/tweb/map.html"

You just have to make the non-transparent GIF available somewhere where the website can fetch it, then give it the URL and click on the colour you want to be transparent and it will display a transparent GIF which you can save.

(I have also in the past made a GIF transparent by zapping the header using the Windows debug command, but that's a bit advanced).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Jonathan. That's helpful for the website graphics. I know I need something with high-density pixels for a professional printer, though. Or, okay, let me rephrase that. Years ago, when I used to have lots of stuff professionally printed, that's what they required. They also used to require colour separations too, which they don't any more, so maybe I should check with them what their specifications are.

I'll try the .gif file for the website, though. I'm ftp(ing) the images directly to the site so everything lives in one place. That may well be my solution for that part, though.

Thanks!

The downside of the GIF format is that it causes quite noticeable posterization. For high quality colors you need other methods

I'm not working with photoshop but with Gimp but it should be possible to work with layering and smart additions of the several layers to get that effect.

I don't think I'm making myself clear, here. :smile:

Not sure if I understand completely either, but I'll give it a shot.

Similar to what Jonathan said earlier, in order to save your image with a transparent background you will have to save it in either GIF format, or TIFF format. GIF is usually the simpler solution though. Take a look at the thumbnail and you will see a shot from Photoshop CS3. You can also see from the additional "TEST" picture shown below with the desired transparency I think you are looking for.

First you will want to make sure you layer the background that you want to get rid of, and be sure it isn't locked. Then either delete it, or just hide it. Afterwards when you save as a GIF just be sure to check the transparency box.

I'm finding this difficult to explain. Let me know if I'm on the right track at all for explaining this, or if I'm clueless on what your looking for.

*EDIT* If you don't know how to layer the background, you'll want to choose your "Magic Wand Tool," and click somewhere on the white background. Once the squiggly lines have outlined the area you want, right click on the image and choose "Layer Via Cut." That will create a new layer for the entire background area around the logo. Then simply delete or hide the new layer you created. Also, be sure the background you are working on doesn't have the lock symbol next to it. If it does, then right click and choose "duplicate layer." Once you do that just delete the original locked layer. This will allow you to modify things.

2v0btl3.jpg

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 504
Last edited:
Yes! Thank you, MacLaddy! That's precisely what I was asking about.

I'll try to follow that and see what I come up with. I'm not sure that I fully understand the laying concept that Photoshop uses, so that slows me up quite a bit.

I've attached a thumbnail of the image that I need a transparent background on so it can get dropped onto any colour background.

I'll give your instructions a go and see what I come up with. Sorry for my poor explanation.

Attachments

• logoblack1.jpg
    logoblack1.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 503
I found this YouTube video someone did that explains it really well. In fact, she does it about twice as quick as what I knew how to do.

Cool logo... The one below is now transparent. Not sure if you can use that, or if it's too small.

Attachments

• logoblack1 copy.gif
    logoblack1 copy.gif
    4 KB · Views: 531
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. What a cool link, MacLaddy. Give me a second while I un-slack my jaw.

Thank you!

1. How do I make the background transparent in Photoshop?

To make the background transparent in Photoshop, you can use the magic wand tool to select the background, then hit the delete key on your keyboard. You can also use the eraser tool or the background eraser tool for more precise control.

2. Can I make only certain parts of the background transparent?

Yes, you can use layer masks in Photoshop to make specific parts of the background transparent. This allows for more precise control and can help you create a more realistic transparent effect.

3. What file format should I use to save my transparent background in Photoshop?

The best file format to use for a transparent background in Photoshop is PNG. This format supports transparency and maintains the quality of your image. You can also use GIF or TIFF formats, but they may not support all of the features in your image.

4. Why is my transparent background appearing as a solid color?

This could be due to a few different reasons. First, make sure you have saved your image in a format that supports transparency, such as PNG. Also, check if there are any hidden layers or background layers that may be interfering with the transparency. Lastly, make sure your background layer is completely deleted or erased.

5. Can I add a transparent background to an existing image in Photoshop?

Yes, you can use the magic wand tool or the layer mask technique to make an existing image have a transparent background. Just make sure to save the image in a format that supports transparency, such as PNG.