Controlling 2 DC Motors with 12V Battery: Tips for Design Engineering Students

In summary, as a design engineering student needing to complete an electronics project, you will need to connect 2 12V DC motors in parallel to a 12V battery. To control their speed, you can use a motor controller such as a PWM circuit or a motor driver IC. You will also need a way to monitor battery life, which can be achieved using a voltage divider circuit. Good luck with your project.
Aquadust
Hi

I am a 4Th year design engineering student and have a final project to complete but my knowledge base is mainly mechanical and materials but I have to complete and electronics part of the project.

My problem is I need to control 2 12V DC motors off 1 12V battery and I believe they need to be in parallel to do this. But I need a simple, cheap way of controlling the speed of the product and I have no idea how to do this.

I'm pretty sure I need a potentiometer for adjusting control, a push to make switch, a key to turn on and off and some way of monitoring battery life.

I keep reading about PMW and H-bridge but have no idea how to apply any of it due to my given situation or even if I need that or can a simpler way be used.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

As a scientist with expertise in electronics, I can offer some guidance on how to control your 12V DC motors using a simple and cost-effective method.

Firstly, you are correct in thinking that you will need to connect the motors in parallel to the 12V battery in order to power them both. This will ensure that they receive the same voltage and can operate simultaneously.

To control the speed of the motors, you will need to use a device called a motor controller. This can be a standalone unit or integrated into your circuit. A motor controller works by adjusting the amount of voltage and current that is delivered to the motors, thereby controlling their speed.

One option for a simple and cheap motor controller is a pulse width modulation (PWM) circuit. This circuit involves using a microcontroller or timer to rapidly switch the motor's power on and off at varying intervals, effectively controlling the average voltage and current delivered to the motor. This can be achieved using a potentiometer to adjust the duty cycle of the PWM signal, which will in turn control the motor speed.

Alternatively, you can also use a motor driver IC, such as an H-bridge, which will allow you to control the direction and speed of the motors using a simple input signal. This may be a more straightforward option for your project, as it eliminates the need for a microcontroller or timer.

In terms of monitoring battery life, you can use a voltage divider circuit to measure the voltage of the battery and display it using a simple voltmeter or LED display.

I hope this helps to give you some ideas for how to approach your project. If you have any further questions or need more specific guidance, feel free to reach out to me. Good luck with your project!

1. What is a DC motor?

A DC motor is a type of electric motor that converts direct current (DC) electrical energy into mechanical energy. It consists of a stator (stationary part) and a rotor (rotating part) and uses the principle of electromagnetism to produce motion.

2. How does a DC motor work?

A DC motor works by using the interaction between the stator's magnetic field and the current flowing through the rotor to produce rotational motion. The stator creates a magnetic field and the rotor, which is made of a coil of wire, carries an electric current. The interaction between the two creates a force, which causes the rotor to rotate.

3. How is the speed of a DC motor controlled?

The speed of a DC motor can be controlled by adjusting the voltage applied to it. Increasing the voltage will increase the speed of the motor, while decreasing the voltage will decrease the speed. This is because the speed of the motor is directly proportional to the voltage applied to it.

4. What are the different ways to control a DC motor?

There are several ways to control a DC motor, including using a variable resistor (potentiometer), pulse width modulation (PWM), and a motor controller. A variable resistor allows for manual control of the motor speed, while PWM and motor controllers use electronic signals to control the motor speed.

5. What are the applications of DC motors?

DC motors have a wide range of applications, including in household appliances, electric vehicles, robotics, and industrial machinery. They are also commonly used in fans, pumps, and power tools. DC motors are preferred in these applications because of their simplicity, cost-effectiveness, and ease of control.