Preventing Cancer: Tips for a Healthy Lifestyle

• Thread starter Saint
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cancer
In summary: Of course if you happen to have the right genes, you don't have to worry about cancer at all, but don't bet on it.Cancer is partly genes, partly virus, and partly environmental damage.You can't avoid it by being good.If you are at risk for colo-rectal cancer (due to genes) eating a healthy diet with fiber (oatmeal for example) is known to help.Other kinds have other interventions, but they won't eliminate your chance of getting cancer, just reduce it.
Saint
Please suggest good ideas to prevent it,
In terms of:
1) food you eat (eating habit)
2) water you drink
3) air
4) exercise
5) control of temperament
6) etc.

Biology news on Phys.org
Get checkups. Cancer is partly genes, partly virus, and partly environmental damage. You can't avoid it by being good. If you are at risk for colo-rectal cancer (due to genes) eating a healthy diet with fiber (oatmeal for example) is known to help. Other kinds have other interventions, but they won't eliminate your chance of getting cancer, just reduce it.

Of course if you happen to have the right genes, you don't have to worry about cancer at all, but don't bet on it.

1)i think we should eat more vegetables but less fried food . Fried food contain some substances which can increase the chance of getting cancer.
3) air , i think we cannot have a great change of it unless you move to another places.As i know ,Asbestos is surely carcinogenic.
And one thing you should keep in mind is excess radiation is also harmful to us

Main things to focus on...
(1) Eat well & exercise.

(2) As selfadjoint said, find out what you are genetically susceptible to (family history) and then adjust your lifestyle/diet to minimize those risks.

Other...
(a) Get enough of vitamins C & E in your daily diet (anti-oxidants).

(b) Avoid prolonged exposure to carcinogenic chemicals (pollution, household materials, etc.).

Avoid sex and sunlight.

avoid sex? be austere? live in celibacy ?

It's a joke, son. Like the old joke, if you don't drink, don't smoke, and don't run around with women, you may not live to be 90, but it will feel like it.

I read that Ajinomoto can cause canser, sure?

Start smoking cig... I mean start smoking weed of course :cool:

E vitamers

Phobos said:
(a) Get enough of vitamins C & E in your daily diet (anti-oxidants).
What is vitamin E, and how much of it is enough?

The Ajinomoto corporation and its many chemical products

Saint said:
I read that Ajinomoto can cause canser, sure?
Ajinomoto is the name of a company. Maybe you mean aspartame, a sweetener made by Ajinomoto.

PubMed returns some records of studies on Nutrasweet and aspartame.

Or maybe you meant MSG (monosodium glutamate), a flavoring chemical made by Ajinomoto.

PubMed returns some records of studies on MSG.

Ensure plenty vitamin C. Even if you eat a good balanced diet, it probably does not contain enough - use supplements.

From my knowledge, antioxidants(which can come from fruits & vegetables) are one of the best ways. Here's a summary why it is.. Breathing in oxygen causes our bodies to form "free radicals". These free radicals can cause cancers. Some birds are not affected by free radicals because their bodies produces something(which I'm not sure) to prevent these free radicals from causing cancers. But we're not birds However science has come out with a way for us to prevent these free radicals from forming cancers which is by taking antioxidants. Do a google search on free radicals to find out more. Here's a webpage: www.healthchecksystems.com/antioxid.htm
Ps. This doesn't mean u can't breathe :bugeye:

Last edited:
Eating plenty of vitamin C is harmful to our health per day. You just need to take enough vitamin C every day as it is soluble in water and cannot be stored in our body

I don't have much time so I can't go into it much, but I have completed exstinsive studies on coral calcium. I have been taking CC for about 2yrs now and in that time have not so much as even had a cold. I highly recommend further study on Ionized Coral Calcium. I feel that it is a key ingrediant in long-jevity and healthy life. :rofl:

clean your vegetables with salt water, to get rid of pesticide, so that lower chance to get cancer

Its all in the research of stem cells. Yes there are plenty of other methods that can be aimed in studying the cure for cancer. One of the most interesting to me was the development of a drug, the name I forget, however its target was to destroy the capillaries leading to the tumor itself. However with the advancement of the radiation therapy which can now match the irregular shape of a cancer cell, the research of stem cells is just an anxiously awaited research oppurtunity. ANd thanks to Governor Schwartzenegger the allowance for this research is becoming more of a reality.

I think the best way o avoid cancer is to have a healthy diet and if you had a sudden change in your body (example; weight lose, change on bowel movements,etc..), we should consult it to a medical professional to avoid more complications. And as our folks keep telling us, stay away from drugs and smoking.

Do we know for sure that cancer can be avoided by washing the vegetables or by having 'enough' amount of vitamin C?

Die young !

there is no sure way to avoid cancer. It's just the way our human body is made up. some are vulnerable and some are not. Some are healthier and others not.

The good thing to do is not to think so much about it, instead focus on what is good and constructive. There are so much worry in the world that it takes away our appreciation of what is good.

1. What are some preventive measures I can take to reduce my risk of developing cancer?

Some ways to reduce your risk of cancer include maintaining a healthy weight, avoiding tobacco and excessive alcohol consumption, engaging in regular physical activity, and following a nutritious diet that includes plenty of fruits and vegetables.

2. How important is regular screening for cancer?

Regular screenings are essential for detecting cancer early on, when it is most treatable. It is recommended to follow your doctor's recommendations for screenings based on your age, gender, and family history.

3. Can my diet really impact my risk of developing cancer?

Yes, maintaining a healthy diet can greatly reduce your risk of developing cancer. Eating a variety of nutrient-dense foods such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean proteins can help prevent cancer and promote overall health.

4. Is there a link between alcohol consumption and cancer?

Yes, excessive alcohol consumption has been linked to an increased risk of developing certain types of cancer, including breast, liver, and esophageal cancer. It is recommended to limit alcohol intake or avoid it altogether.

5. Are there any specific foods or supplements that can prevent cancer?

While there is no one specific food or supplement that can prevent cancer, following a balanced and nutritious diet can greatly reduce your risk. Some studies have shown that certain foods, such as cruciferous vegetables, may have cancer-fighting properties, but more research is needed to confirm their effectiveness.