Understanding Equations of Motion: Differentiating with Respect to Time

So when differentiating, the initial velocity and acceleration are treated as constants because they are not changing over time. This means that they are not functions of time, but rather fixed values in the equation. Therefore, they do not affect the differentiation process. In summary, when differentiating the equation of motion, the initial velocity and acceleration are treated as constants because they do not change over time and are not functions of time. They are simply given values in the equation.
AStaunton
I was just thinking about equation of motion:

s=x_0+ut+1/2at^2 where u is initial velocity

diff w.r.t.t to find velocity at a given time :

ds/dt=u+at

My question is, why was it so simple to differentiate w.r.t.t, as "u" is a function of "t" and "a" is a function of t.
But in my differentiation step, these were both treated as constants, why is that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Both u and a are independent of time, only v and t vary in your equation.

ok..I thought that the definition u=dx/dt and a=d^2x/dt^2 implied that they were functions of t...

although maybe I'm getting myself confused with the units?:

u has units ms^-1 and a has ms^-2...

but the fact that they have time units doesn't necessarily mean they are functions of time.

The initial velocity is not dependent from time, it's a given value. Same with acceleration in that problem.

Velocity, however, is dependent from time, and it's ds/dt.

1. What is the purpose of differentiating equations of motion with respect to time?

Differentiating equations of motion with respect to time allows us to find the rate of change of a particular variable, such as velocity or acceleration, over time. This can help us understand how an object's motion is changing and make predictions about its future movement.

2. How do you differentiate an equation of motion with respect to time?

To differentiate an equation of motion with respect to time, we use the chain rule of differentiation. This involves taking the derivative of each term in the equation and then multiplying it by the derivative of the variable with respect to time, often denoted as dt.

3. What is the difference between differentiating an equation of motion with respect to time and taking the derivative of a function?

Differentiating an equation of motion with respect to time is similar to taking the derivative of a function, but it specifically looks at the rate of change of a variable over time. This means that we are considering how an object's motion is changing at different points in time, rather than just looking at the instantaneous rate of change at a specific point.

4. Can equations of motion be differentiated with respect to other variables besides time?

Yes, equations of motion can be differentiated with respect to other variables, such as position or velocity. This can help us understand how an object's motion is changing with respect to different factors.

5. How does differentiating equations of motion help us solve problems in physics?

Differentiating equations of motion allows us to analyze and understand complex motion problems in physics. By finding the rate of change of different variables over time, we can make predictions about an object's future motion and understand how different factors are affecting its movement. This can be applied to a wide range of real-world problems, from understanding the motion of a car to predicting the trajectory of a projectile.