Probability of measuring the ground state of a particle (quantum mechanics)

In summary, to find the probability of measuring the ground-state energy of a particle in an infinite potential well with a wave-function \psi(x,0) = Ax(a-x), where a is the length of the well and A is the normalization constant, you can use the eigenvalues of the Hamiltonian in this potential, \phi_n=\sqrt{\frac{2}{a}}\sin(\frac{n\pi x}{a}), and take the absolute value squared of the inner product between \psi and \phi_1. This simplifies to \left[\int^a_0 \psi\phi_1 dx\right]^2, and after substituting in the value for A, you should get a
BenR-999
Have to find the probability of measureing the ground-state energy of a particle.
-in infinite potential well 0<x< a
has wave-function [tex] \psi (x,0) = Ax(a-x) [/tex]
where a is the (known) length of the well, and the norm. const. A has already been found.

The eigenvalues of the hamiltonian in this potential are;
[tex] \phi_n = \sqrt{\frac{2}{a}} \sin(\frac{n \pi x}{a}}) [/tex]

I think that to do this i should take
[tex] \left| \langle \psi | \phi_n \rangle \right|^2 [/tex]
for n=1.

which becomes
[tex] \left[ \int^a_0 \psi \phi_1 dx \right] ^2 [/tex] (as all are real-valued)

I'm not sure if this is correct..it just seems a little to simple.

(with [tex] A=\frac{ \sqrt{30} }{a^{5/2} } [/tex]
i got [tex] 60/ \pi ^2 [/tex] which is obviously incorrect..as it is greater than 1.
But, if the method is correct and i have just made algebra error?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, your method is correct, and you just made an algebra mistake.

beauty,
thanks mate

1. What is the ground state of a particle in quantum mechanics?

The ground state of a particle in quantum mechanics refers to the lowest energy state that a particle can occupy. It is also known as the "zero-point energy" state, as it is the state with the lowest possible energy.

2. How is the probability of measuring the ground state of a particle determined?

In quantum mechanics, the probability of measuring the ground state of a particle is determined by the wave function of the particle. The square of the wave function, known as the probability density, gives the likelihood of finding the particle in a specific state.

3. Can the ground state of a particle be measured with 100% certainty?

No, according to the principles of quantum mechanics, it is impossible to measure the ground state of a particle with 100% certainty. This is due to the inherent uncertainty in the position and momentum of a particle at the quantum level.

4. How does the concept of superposition affect the probability of measuring the ground state of a particle?

The concept of superposition, which states that a particle can exist in multiple states simultaneously, affects the probability of measuring the ground state of a particle. This is because the superposition of states can increase or decrease the probability of measuring a specific state, including the ground state.

5. Are there any real-world applications of understanding the probability of measuring the ground state of a particle?

Yes, understanding the probability of measuring the ground state of a particle is crucial in many technological advancements, such as quantum computing and quantum cryptography. It also plays a significant role in our understanding of atomic and molecular behavior in chemical reactions.