How much math and physics will I need for physical chemistry?

In summary: For quantum mechanics (the rest of pchem, basically), you'll need to be comfortable with differential equations and linear algebra.In summary, there is some debate on the necessary math and physics courses to take before studying physical chemistry. While some recommend taking additional math courses such as differential equations and linear algebra, others believe that they are not essential. Physics 3 and 4, as well as discrete mathematics, may not be as helpful for physical chemistry. However, some fields within physical chemistry may benefit from these courses. Ultimately, the necessary math and physics courses will depend on the sub-specialty within physical chemistry and individual research interests.
Mr. Fizzix
I am new to this forum.

Although physical chemistry only requires calculus 3 (which I'll have taken regardless), many people are saying that I would be better off taking more math than that before taking physical chem, since I wouldn't have to learn as much that's new. I've been recommended to take differential equations and linear algebra. Do you think that'll be enough to get by on?

Before I transfer to a university, I won't have many classes my last semester at that 2-year college. They also offer discrete mathematics. Would this class also help me for physical chemistry?

Also, how much physics do you recommend? I've had college physics 1 & 2 and statics, and will have had dynamics, thermodynamics, mechanics of materials, and fluid dynamics before taking physical chem. Will this be enough? I've heard that physics 3 (wave and optics) and physics 4 (modern physics) also may help a lot. Will they help enough to go out of my way to take those classes?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thermodynamics and quantum physics will be the main physics you see in physical chemistry. QM is usually introduced in a modern physics class, so that will probably be sufficient. Discrete mathematics and linear algebra probably won't be very useful for pchem. Differential equations will be moderately useful, but I didn't take it before taking pchem and I got through it without any trouble.

Btw, this isn't really a career guidance question.

Linear algebra isn't necessary. Intro Mechanics and E&M course is barely necessary, as well, IMO.

It depends on what you want to do - even within physical chemistry, there are sub-specialties for which linear algebra, optics, and E&M will have varying levels of utility.

I'm currently a PhD student in physical chemistry. I work in two research groups - one focusing on ultrafast/non-linear optics, the other on theoretical chemistry. I did take linear algebra as an undergrad, and I'm extremely glad I did. I would consider it a de facto requirement for work in theory or ultrafast spectroscopy (Don't take my word for it - pull up a modern paper on quantum scattering theory or optical studies of photosystem I/II and look at the mathematics employed in them). My colleagues who work took classes in these fields with no prior linear algebra experience have almost unanimously stated they wish they had taken some.

As far as differential equations go, I'm always surprised to hear this isn't required. Comfortably navigating equations in quantum mechanics (at least the type that seems to be relevant at this level of p-chem research) seems to hinge on at least a rudimentary understanding of ODE's. I did take this - chemistry majors at my undergrad institution were required to.

It's true that discrete mathematics won't be necessary for physical chemistry (I took discrete mathematics courses to satisfy a separate computer science requirement as an undergrad).

For many fields, E&M and optics would be useful as well (I didn't take any classes along these lines as an undergrad except for introductory calculus-based physics) - I've had a slow start because I'm learning most of these optics concepts for the first time, and I'm planning next year to take an upper level undergrad E&M class in our physics department; there's simply a lot I don't know that I'd benefit from understanding, to the extent that I feel taking a class may be more efficient than trying to teach myself everything.

On the other hand, I have friends in physical chemistry who focus on fabrication of photonic materials and the like, and they rarely employ linear algebra or optics principles - again, it depends. I just wanted to share my experience and offer another opinion on the matter.

For thermodynamics and kinetics ("Physical Chemistry I" at my school), you really only need multivariable calculus ("Calculus III").

1. How much math is required for physical chemistry?

The level of math required for physical chemistry can vary depending on your specific course or program. However, it is generally recommended to have a strong foundation in algebra, calculus, and basic differential equations. You may also encounter more advanced topics such as linear algebra and vector calculus.

2. Do I need to have a background in physics for physical chemistry?

While a background in physics can be helpful, it is not always necessary for physical chemistry. However, some concepts in physical chemistry do involve principles from physics, so having a basic understanding of fundamental physics concepts can be beneficial.

3. Is it necessary to have a strong understanding of math and physics before taking physical chemistry?

It is highly recommended to have a strong foundation in math and physics before taking physical chemistry. This is because physical chemistry involves the use of complex mathematical equations and concepts from both math and physics. Without a solid understanding of these subjects, it can be difficult to grasp the concepts in physical chemistry.

4. What types of math and physics will I encounter in physical chemistry?

In physical chemistry, you will likely encounter topics such as calculus (including differential and integral calculus), linear algebra, vectors, thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, and statistical mechanics. These topics may involve some mathematical concepts from physics, such as classical mechanics and electromagnetism.

5. How can I prepare for the math and physics in physical chemistry?

To prepare for the math and physics in physical chemistry, it is recommended to review and solidify your understanding of basic algebra, calculus, and physics concepts. You can also practice solving problems and equations to improve your problem-solving skills. Additionally, familiarizing yourself with the symbols and notation commonly used in physical chemistry can also be helpful.