Nursing Graduate taking up BS Physics

In summary, this person is seeking advice on how to go about their career path after they have graduated from BS Physics. They are worried about whether or not they will be able to find a job, and whether or not they will be able to finish graduate studies. They are also worried about the competition for jobs.
aniaeeram
Hello everyone,

I recently passed the Nursing Licensure Exam here in the Philippines. After so many disappointing job hunts I was led to a school here which specialized in BS Physics. Instead of offering to me a job, I was asked if I would like to take up BS Physics for free. In other words, a scholarship program. I was thrilled about the offer and so I accepted it the following day and now I am going to start attending classes this school year.

Ever since I was born (...i think), I have always wanted to work as a scientist in NASA. But my dreams were crushed when I was forced to take up BS Nursing. Anyway, I would like to ask any advice or suggestions from you Physics enthusiasts or even Physicists as to how I should go with my career path? Are there any downfalls? How will I be able to take up a Master's Degree if necessary and at the same time work with the degree that I will be holding if I graduate in BS Physics? How many years will it take for me to finish Graduate Studies?

I have tried to find jobs for international BS Physics graduates in noted institutions all over the world (well at least all over google), even in NASA, but to my disappointment only Citizens of that certain country would be accepted. Is there a possibility that if I get really high grades I can work in those kind of institutions? Because I have heard of international students who were offered to work for NASA? How is this all possible?

I may sound very ambitious but it wouldn't hurt to ask right?

Please... Could anyone help me with my dilemma?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
NASA only hires foreign scientists as civil servants on rare occasions; basically, the people trying to hire you have to make the case that no US citizen can do what you do. So you'd have to be both incredibly specialized and incredibly useful to get the job - not something to bank on. However, NASA does have a good number of foreign postdocs; you'd earn a PhD in a astrophysics-related field and then apply to the NASA Postdoctoral Program. It's very competitive, but they do take foreign applicants.

eri said:
NASA only hires foreign scientists as civil servants on rare occasions; basically, the people trying to hire you have to make the case that no US citizen can do what you do. So you'd have to be both incredibly specialized and incredibly useful to get the job - not something to bank on. However, NASA does have a good number of foreign postdocs; you'd earn a PhD in a astrophysics-related field and then apply to the NASA Postdoctoral Program. It's very competitive, but they do take foreign applicants.

Wow.. Thanks! That's really helpful. I will really try my best with this course.

1. What made you decide to switch from nursing to physics?

I have always been fascinated by the principles and laws of physics and wanted to pursue a deeper understanding of how the universe works. While nursing is a noble and rewarding profession, I felt that my passion and curiosity were leading me towards a career in physics.

2. How do your nursing skills and knowledge apply to physics?

Although they may seem like very different fields, there are skills and knowledge from nursing that can be applied to physics. For example, critical thinking, problem-solving, and attention to detail are crucial in both professions. Additionally, my background in biology and anatomy has helped me understand certain concepts in physics, such as the human body's mechanics and movement.

3. Do you think your nursing background will give you an advantage in studying physics?

I believe that my background in nursing will give me a unique perspective and approach to studying physics. Nursing requires a strong foundation in the sciences and an understanding of how different systems in the body work together. These skills and knowledge can be applied to physics, especially in fields such as biomedical physics and medical research.

4. Will you be able to handle the math and theoretical aspects of physics without a background in math?

While I do not have a formal background in mathematics, I am confident that I have the ability to learn and understand the math and theoretical aspects of physics. I am dedicated to putting in the time and effort to improve my math skills and seek help when needed. Many nursing programs also require math courses, so I do have some foundation in the subject.

5. What are your career goals after completing a degree in physics?

My ultimate goal is to combine my knowledge and skills in both nursing and physics to contribute to medical research and healthcare advancements. I am also considering pursuing a career in teaching or working in the healthcare industry as a physicist. I am excited about the endless possibilities and opportunities that a degree in physics can offer.