Double major in Math and physics OR MS degree in physics

In summary: Thanks for your advice. I also think the double major is better. I cannot go to applied math graduate degree because I only started applied math study last semester. I cannot finish it in May next year. Actually when I took physics courses, I took some other economic courses but not declare a minor. Is it better to declare a minor in economics?
physics8726
HI,

I have two choices right now to finish before graduation:

Double major in physics and applied math And MS in physics degree ( concurrent program)

I could only finish one of them in May next year. After graduation, I want to apply for a PhD program in finance or financial engineering. Which choice is more helpful?

I appreciate your advice!

Physics news on Phys.org
While I have never been on an admissions committee, and I don't really know anything about finance engineering, I would think having the double major (as long as they will produce good grades) would be better. Graduate schools will like the fact that you officially know math. A masters in physics may be helpful for getting into a physics program, but I doubt it would hold much sway for finance, it may even be hurtful if you really wanted to pursue a different degree. Why not just go for an applied math graduate degree with an emphasis on some type of economics or finance? There's my completely biased perspective.

Mindscrape said:
While I have never been on an admissions committee, and I don't really know anything about finance engineering, I would think having the double major (as long as they will produce good grades) would be better. Graduate schools will like the fact that you officially know math. A masters in physics may be helpful for getting into a physics program, but I doubt it would hold much sway for finance, it may even be hurtful if you really wanted to pursue a different degree. Why not just go for an applied math graduate degree with an emphasis on some type of economics or finance? There's my completely biased perspective.

Thanks for your advice. I also think the double major is better. I cannot go to applied math graduate degree because I only started applied math study last semester. I cannot finish it in May next year. Actually when I took physics courses, I took some other economic courses but not declare a minor. Is it better to declare a minor in economics?

1. What is the difference between a double major in Math and Physics and an MS degree in Physics?

A double major in Math and Physics involves completing all of the requirements for both majors, while an MS degree in Physics focuses specifically on advanced coursework and research in the field of Physics.

2. Can I pursue a double major in Math and Physics and still graduate in four years?

It is possible to complete a double major in Math and Physics within four years, but it may require careful planning and a heavy course load. It is important to consult with an academic advisor to create a feasible plan.

3. What are the career options for someone with a double major in Math and Physics or an MS degree in Physics?

Both a double major in Math and Physics and an MS degree in Physics can lead to a variety of career options, including research and development, engineering, data analysis, teaching, and more.

4. Is it beneficial to have both a Math and Physics background for certain career paths?

Having knowledge and skills in both Math and Physics can be beneficial for many career paths, particularly in fields that require a strong understanding of mathematical and scientific concepts.

5. Can I pursue a double major in Math and Physics and still have time for extracurricular activities?

It is possible to balance a double major in Math and Physics with extracurricular activities, but it may require good time management skills. It is important to prioritize and make sure to leave time for both academics and other interests.