Dual Degree in Physics and Engineering, B.S.

In summary, Vanadium is of the opinion that a single degree in engineering physics may help meet the goals you mentioned.
MainCharacter
Howdy,

I need help sorting out a plan... again. It has come to my attention, the various opinions on how hard it is for a bachelors in physics to get a job. Here's what i originally had in mind: B.S. physics -> get a job -> M.S. & Ph.D. physics. It is indeed a crude plan but to specify the job is needed to pay of loans and to build a sustainable savings until I can pursue further education. Now if i can't find a desired job the whole plan would surely fall apart.

So to build job insurance would you recommend that I take the dual degree path? With an engineering degree on me It seems it would open up more jobs and it may be easier to sell myself to the employer. On the other hand, if i could sell my self to the employer well in the first place i should be fine with just the physics degree. So, is it worth it? The program I'm thinking about is Loyola's Dual Degree program, its 5 years for the two B.S.'s.

Dual degree or just one degree? Your advice please.

Physics news on Phys.org
A single degree in engineering physics may help meet the goals you mentioned.

Thanks for your input good sir. I'm going to look into this engineering physics degree.

No direct experience with it, but from what I've read about engineering physics it may fall short of what you are expecting on the physics end, since you want a phd eventually.

I personally like the idea of getting 2 BS's. The question is getting the extra degree worth the extra cost and time. One year doesn't seem too bad. I do think an engineering BS is way more valuable than a physics BS in getting an industry job.

One thing to keep in mind is to go directly from a BS to a PhD program in physics. I'm pretty sure your undergrad loans are deferred if you go to graduate school. Then you wouldn't need the extra BS.

Diracula said:
No direct experience with it, but from what I've read about engineering physics it may fall short of what you are expecting on the physics end, since you want a phd eventually.
That surprises me a little. I reviewed a few engineering physics programs and there was over 10 upper division physics courses. I would think this would get you going in physics graduate school if someone chooses to.

It was just a guess, so if you have better info go with that. My thought was just that if you start substituting engineering courses for physics courses, then your value goes down for physics phd programs (even if it's just a little bit). Of course it would depend on the area of physics you are choosing.

When I went into my BS program for physics, engineering physics would not have been what I wanted at all, but that was just my own personal perspective back then.

Are engineering physics BS holders as attractive as say pure engineering BS holders for industry jobs? It would surprise me a little if this were true.

If you take 10 upper division physics courses, there is less time for engineering courses than if you took fewer. Be aware there is a tradeoff.

Loyola's dual-degree program is a 3-2 program. (For either Loyola) These are focused more on producing engineers than applicants to physics grad schools.

A lot of the new questions can be derived now. What would you recommend then, Vanadium? My biggest concern is funding my self for the Ph.D and I was thinking the dual degree will open more and better jobs but as V says it will sacrifice my physics. So a couple questions need to be pondered now:

How much is the physics sacrifice in the dual degree program and is it worth it?
Should I just take the B.S. in engineering physics or would I get the short end of both degrees?
How hard would it be to go back into academia once you have an engineer's job?
How does everyone else do this? take the B.S. in physics and take a chance? Or go straight into the Ph.D program, if so, what do you do about the money issue?

I'm of to do more research; I think the first question can be answered rather easily by comparing the dual degree to the regular physics program, right? Thank's for the help everyone. I have a feeling it's going to be coin toss in the end.

MainCharacter said:
How hard would it be to go back into academia once you have an engineer's job?

It depends on your drive, for most people it will be impossible. Not that that's a bad thing. Imagine going from 60k+ salary to 10k-20k (depending on the university), especially if you've started a family or have a mortgage.

I've decided to try my luck with the b.s. in physics and see if I can get into grad school as a research or assistant to minimize the costs. If can't find any I'll stay an extra year and get the engineering degree and work my way around that way. Thanks for all the help folks!

What is a Dual Degree in Physics and Engineering, B.S.?

A Dual Degree in Physics and Engineering, B.S. is an undergraduate program that combines the study of physics and engineering to give students a strong foundation in both fields. Students will earn two separate degrees, one in Physics and one in Engineering, upon completion of the program.

What are the benefits of pursuing a Dual Degree in Physics and Engineering, B.S.?

There are several benefits to pursuing a Dual Degree in Physics and Engineering, B.S. First, it allows students to gain a deeper understanding of both fields, which can make them more competitive in the job market. Additionally, students will have a wide range of career opportunities available to them, as they will have expertise in both physics and engineering.

What courses will I take as part of a Dual Degree in Physics and Engineering, B.S.?

The specific courses will vary depending on the university and program, but typically, students will take a combination of physics and engineering courses. These may include courses in mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, materials science, and computer programming.

How long does it take to complete a Dual Degree in Physics and Engineering, B.S.?

The length of the program will depend on the specific university and program, but on average, it takes 4-5 years to complete a Dual Degree in Physics and Engineering, B.S. This is because students are completing the requirements for two separate degrees.

What career opportunities are available for graduates with a Dual Degree in Physics and Engineering, B.S.?

Graduates with a Dual Degree in Physics and Engineering, B.S. have a wide range of career opportunities available to them. They may work in research and development, engineering design, product development, or as technical consultants. They may also pursue higher education in a specific field of interest, such as pursuing a Ph.D. in Physics or Engineering.