Would a real Quantum Computer falsify de Broglie/Bohm model?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of quantum computers and their potential capabilities. The speakers debate whether a quantum computer would need to rely on the indeterminate state of quantum mechanics to function, and whether the Copenhagen or de Broglie-Bohm interpretation would have a stronger impact on the success of quantum computing. They also mention that while there have been claims of successful quantum computers, the ability to handle theoretically intractable problems has not yet been achieved. The conversation also references a paper explaining how quantum computers work in the de Broglie-Bohm theory.
danR
[I've searched for posts on this issue, but haven't found anything quite specific.]

By 'real' I mean something you might actually buy in, say, 2015 and actually performs those pesky problems that involve an infinity of potential solutions.

If a quantum entity actually does have definite (if indeterminable) state, then quantum computers wouldn't go on sale. They just wouldn't work.

If they do work, then the Copenhagen interpretation would be strengthened.

It's my own suspicion that they will never come up with a working model.

Or would a Bohm computer somehow work anyway?

Physics news on Phys.org
The de Broglie-Bohm interpretation and the Copenhagen interpretation do not affect any of the predictions of quantum mechanics, only the language you use to talk about them. You cannot falsify one without falsifying the other; the underlying theory is exactly the same

http://arxiv.org/abs/1012.4843" is a paper explaining how quantum computers work in deBB theory.

Last edited by a moderator:
The_Duck said:
The de Broglie-Bohm interpretation and the Copenhagen interpretation do not affect any of the predictions of quantum mechanics, only the language you use to talk about them. You cannot falsify one without falsifying the other; the underlying theory is exactly the same

So a QC does not depend on an inherently indeterminate quantum state (Copenhagen interpretation) to derive single (correct) solutions out of an infinity of possible ones?

While both make the same predictions, there does seem to be a diversified running debate around here whether or not tests can be, or have been, devised that support one or the other at least 'better', if not falsify one or the other. Would real QC not split the hair finely enough to serve as one such test?

Finally, from what I've understood as the classical meaning of a quantum computer, quantum computing has not actually been achieved, though there was one commercial claim here in Vancouver a few years ago.

camboy said:
http://arxiv.org/abs/1012.4843" is a paper explaining how quantum computers work in deBB theory.

Mine is a layman's question. Anyway, having skimmed the paper, I would want them to define clearly what sort of quantum computer they are talking about. Perhaps you can help me out. Much of PP's program is explaining things (if possible) to people who aren't able to follow the literature.

My recollection over the decades, and reading about this quantum computer, and that (claimed) quantum computer, and the coffee-cup QC, is that the classical QC's ability to handle problems that are theoretically (not practically) intractable has not been achieved. That they are all lab curiosities that do interesting computing using quantum effects and systems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having looked at the dissertation, and reviewed quantum computing itself, I appear to have misunderstood what quantum computing actually can accomplish, and apparently nothing that would significantly require a difference between CI and de Broglie/Bohm models.

1. How does the de Broglie/Bohm model differ from other quantum models?

The de Broglie/Bohm model, also known as the pilot-wave theory, is a deterministic interpretation of quantum mechanics that proposes the existence of a guiding wave that determines the behavior of particles. This is in contrast to other models, such as the Copenhagen interpretation, which view quantum mechanics as probabilistic and do not assign definite positions to particles.

2. What evidence would a quantum computer provide for or against the de Broglie/Bohm model?

A quantum computer could potentially provide evidence for the de Broglie/Bohm model by demonstrating the behavior of particles guided by a wave. If the computer's calculations align with the predictions of the model, it could support its validity. However, if the computer's results contradict the model's predictions, it could potentially falsify the model.

3. Are there any experiments or observations that have already tested the de Broglie/Bohm model?

Yes, there have been several experiments and observations that have tested the de Broglie/Bohm model. These include the double-slit experiment, which has been shown to be consistent with the predictions of the model, as well as experiments involving entangled particles, which also support the model's predictions.

4. How would a quantum computer be able to simulate the behavior of particles according to the de Broglie/Bohm model?

A quantum computer works by manipulating and controlling the quantum states of particles, such as photons or electrons. These particles can be described by a wave function, which is a key concept in the de Broglie/Bohm model. By manipulating the wave function of these particles, a quantum computer could simulate the behavior of particles according to the model.

5. What impact would a quantum computer falsifying the de Broglie/Bohm model have on our understanding of quantum mechanics?

If a quantum computer were to falsify the de Broglie/Bohm model, it would challenge our current understanding of quantum mechanics. This model has been thoroughly studied and is considered a valid interpretation of quantum mechanics by many scientists. If it were to be falsified, it could potentially lead to the development of new theories or interpretations of quantum mechanics.