Gokart Stepper Power Steering Help

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of stepper motors for a makeshift power steering system in a Gokart with regenerative braking and UltraCapacitors. The speaker is seeking help in calculating the required torque/force for the motors to turn the wheels at rest, considering factors such as coefficient of friction, normal force, and weight distribution. They also mention the importance of mechanical trail and scrub radius and provide a resource for further information.
polylabs
Hello PF, A friend and I are building a rather cool Gokart with regenerative braking and UltraCapacitors etc...

Instead of using conventional mechanical steering we plan on using stepper motors for a makeshift power steering system

My question is I can't figure out the required Torque/Force the motors need in order to turn the wheels at rest. I know that as your speed increases you need less force to steer so if I calculate for rest I can cover everything.

I know my calculations need to include: Coeffecient of Friction and Normal force, and that torque = radius * force, but I don't know which radius to use.

The weight of the kart is about 400lbs with the majority at the back with the motors etc..

Any help would be much appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
It is all about the mechanical trail and scrub radius. See http://www.optimumg.com/OptimumGWebSite/Documents/OptimumK%20Help%20File%20v1.1/KPI%20_%20Caster_legacy.htm" for more info.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is Gokart Stepper Power Steering?

Gokart Stepper Power Steering is a type of power steering system that uses a stepper motor to assist with steering a gokart. This system is designed to make steering easier and more precise for the driver.

2. How does Gokart Stepper Power Steering work?

The stepper motor in the Gokart Stepper Power Steering system is connected to the steering column and uses electrical signals to turn the wheel in the desired direction. This allows for precise and responsive steering.

3. What are the benefits of using Gokart Stepper Power Steering?

Some benefits of using Gokart Stepper Power Steering include easier steering for the driver, improved handling and control of the gokart, and reduced strain on the driver's arms and hands.

4. Can Gokart Stepper Power Steering be installed on any gokart?

No, Gokart Stepper Power Steering may not be compatible with all gokarts. It is important to check the specifications and compatibility before attempting to install this system on any gokart.

5. Are there any maintenance requirements for Gokart Stepper Power Steering?

Like any other mechanical system, Gokart Stepper Power Steering may require regular maintenance and check-ups to ensure it is functioning properly. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for maintenance and seek professional help if any issues arise.