What are the improvements in the second generation Chevy Volt?

• Thread starter Topher925
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volt
In summary, the conversation is about the poster's experience with driving a Chevy Volt for a day and being impressed with its performance, especially its electric mileage and interior comfort. They mention their only complaint being the HMI and mention the upcoming test drive of a Nissan Leaf. The conversation then shifts to discussing the cost-effectiveness of the Volt and other hybrids, the sticker price of the Volt, and the meaning of NVH and HMI. One person also shares their experience driving a Volt at an event. The conversation ends with a discussion about the battery life of the Volt and the possibility of buying one in the future.
Topher925
I got a Chevy Volt for the entire day yesterday and had the opportunity to put the car through it paces. I have to say, I am very impressed. For once a car actually lived up to its hype. I love the way it rides, the handling, the acceleration, the NVH, it made me think I was in a Cadillac. The mileage was of course excellent as well and I got almost 50 miles of pure electric driving from a fully charged battery. The interior is very comfortable although I'm not to crazy about the iPod look of the center council.

The only gripe I have about the car is the HMI. GM really could have done a much better job with organization of the menus along with the buttons and their placement. Not having an off button for the audio or climate control systems was very annoying.

Overall, I really fell in love with the car. I've driven a lot of cars in the past but none of them made me want to hop right back in after driving to the grocery store. GM really did their homework on this one.

I'll be getting Nissan Leaf next week for a day. We'll see how it stacks up.

Physics news on Phys.org
Topher925 said:
I got a Chevy Volt for the entire day yesterday and had the opportunity to put the car through it paces. I have to say, I am very impressed. For once a car actually lived up to its hype. I love the way it rides, the handling, the acceleration, the NVH, it made me think I was in a Cadillac. The mileage was of course excellent as well and I got almost 50 miles of pure electric driving from a fully charged battery. The interior is very comfortable although I'm not to crazy about the iPod look of the center council.

The only gripe I have about the car is the HMI. GM really could have done a much better job with organization of the menus along with the buttons and their placement. Not having an off button for the audio or climate control systems was very annoying.

Overall, I really fell in love with the car. I've driven a lot of cars in the past but none of them made me want to hop right back in after driving to the grocery store. GM really did their homework on this one.

I'll be getting Nissan Leaf next week for a day. We'll see how it stacks up.

Thanks for posting about this. I'm interested in knowing how this compares; esp when it comes to cost-equivalent autos. Do you plan to look at any diesels? I know the Honda Civic Diesel sold in Europe actually gets [or got] better mileage than the Honda hybrid.

What is the sticker price of the Volt?

No idea what an NVH is, or an HMI, but apparently one smells like leather and the other might be a coffee maker.

DaveC426913 said:
No idea what an NVH is, or an HMI, but apparently one smells like leather and the other might be a coffee maker.

Whatever, he is clearly amped over the Volt.

I haven't driven any of the diesel hybrids, just gasoline ones. If you're looking for a hybrid car that's cost effective, look somewhere else. The Volt should be considered as a vehicle that's electric on the weekdays and gas powered on the weekends. Most other hybrids like the Prius or Insight will get better mileage if you travel more than 100+ or so miles a day.

Ticket price is around $40k before rebates. Somewhere around $33k after government rebates.

DaveC426913 said:

NVH: Noise, Vibration, Harshness
Basically how smooth and quiet a car appears to be.

HMI: Human Machine Interface
What you can interact with on a vehicle, i.e. the LCD screen(s) on the dashboard and council.

Topher925 said:
I got a Chevy Volt for the entire day yesterday and had the opportunity to put the car through it paces. I have to say, I am very impressed.
I drove one for a few minutes at an event a few months ago and was pretty impressed as well.

Does anyone know what the battery life is?

Topher925 said:
I haven't driven any of the diesel hybrids, just gasoline ones. If you're looking for a hybrid car that's cost effective, look somewhere else. The Volt should be considered as a vehicle that's electric on the weekdays and gas powered on the weekends. Most other hybrids like the Prius or Insight will get better mileage if you travel more than 100+ or so miles a day.

Ticket price is around $40k before rebates. Somewhere around $33k after government rebates.

NVH: Noise, Vibration, Harshness
Basically how smooth and quiet a car appears to be.

HMI: Human Machine Interface
What you can interact with on a vehicle, i.e. the LCD screen(s) on the dashboard and council.

Was just discussing the HMI of older electrics this morning

1921_Milburn_Sangamo_Charge_Meter.jpg

1921 Milburn Sangamo Charge Meter

with my EV troopers after seeing the following image yesterday:

tmrtp.jpg

Circa 1920 Detroit Electric as seen in the rear view of a Tesla

What is it they say about revolutions? :smile:

OmCheeto said:
What is it they say about revolutions? :smile:

I heard they have a lot of angular momentum.

wolram said:
Does anyone know what the battery life is?
Warranty is 8y/100kmi
GM has backed up those claims (sort of) by announcing a 8-year, 100,000 mile battery warranty

I'd love for my next car to be a Volt, but I'm poor. That might be the next new car I buy. If my Cobalt dies (it has 119,000 miles on it at the moment), I'll probably be stuck with used cars for the next 7 years or so, if I get into and stick with grad school. Can't really buy a 40k car on a 20k stipend.

Topher925 said:
I haven't driven any of the diesel hybrids,

Not a diesel hybrid, just a diesel. Given the increased efficiency of CI vs ICE coupled with the added BTU per gallon of fuel, regular diesels are on par with gasoline-powered hybrids in terms of mileage.

I'll get excited about the Volt when it makes economic sense without government incentives. I've seen enough novelty cars for one lifetime! :biggrin:

Why don't care manufacturers simply modify existing models to have an option for hybrid/electric? Too expensive? Not as popular?

Drakkith said:
Why don't car manufacturers simply modify existing models to have an option for hybrid/electric? Too expensive? Not as popular?

Too heavy and little packaging space left available in modern cars, as it's not just a case of sticking battery packs in the boot. Hybrids require a dual input transmisson.

It shouldn't be impossible though going forward, I suppose the manufacturers figure they can make more money this way or someone would have done the hybrid option.

xxChrisxx said:
Too heavy and little packaging space left available in modern cars, as it's not just a case of sticking battery packs in the boot. Hybrids require a dual input transmisson.

It shouldn't be impossible though going forward, I suppose the manufacturers figure they can make more money this way or someone would have done the hybrid option.

Yeah, pretty much. There's very few existing ICE platforms that can be converted to BEV's or HEV's without a complete redesign of the body.

The Volt lists at $32.7K after the tax credit. Note that the sales tax applies to the price *before* the tax credit. As GM is only making 10,000 of them this year, if the Volt is your thing and currently too pricey, I'd suggest waiting for V2.0 with a smaller but higher capacity battery. I'd expect the price to drop significantly.

I've heard a lot of rumors that the new Volt is suppose to be quite a bit better than the original. Some people saying the best engineered vehicle ever conceived.

1. How does the Chevy Volt drive?

The Chevy Volt drives like a typical electric car, with smooth acceleration and a quiet ride. However, it also has a gasoline engine that kicks in when the battery runs out, giving it a longer driving range than most electric cars.

2. What is the driving range of the Chevy Volt?

The driving range of the Chevy Volt varies depending on the model year and driving conditions. However, on average, it can travel between 53-62 miles on a full charge and up to 420 miles with a full charge and a full tank of gas.

3. How long does it take to charge a Chevy Volt?

The charging time for a Chevy Volt depends on the type of charger being used. With a standard 120-volt outlet, it can take up to 13 hours to fully charge. With a 240-volt outlet, it can take about 4.5 hours. For a faster charge, there are also DC fast charging stations that can charge the Volt up to 80% in 30 minutes.

4. Is the Chevy Volt a reliable car?

The Chevy Volt has received generally positive reviews for its reliability. It has a 5-star overall rating from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and has been named a Top Safety Pick by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. However, as with any car, regular maintenance and proper care are important for ensuring its reliability.

5. How much does it cost to drive a Chevy Volt?

The cost of driving a Chevy Volt will depend on various factors such as electricity and gas prices, driving habits, and maintenance costs. On average, it costs about $1,000 per year to drive a Chevy Volt, which is significantly less than the average cost of driving a gas-powered car.