Can anyone recommend me a good algebra book?

In summary, the conversation revolves around a person who wants to learn Algebra through self-study. They are seeking recommendations for a good book and the suggestion of Schaum's Outline series is given. However, it is mentioned that these books are better for review rather than learning from scratch. Other suggestions are also given, such as looking for basic algebra or precalculus texts and not spending too much money on them. The book "Elementary Algebra" by Harold Jacobs is also mentioned as being helpful.
homeylova223
I am not sure where to post this so sorry if I posted in the wrong forum.

But my question is I took algebra 1 and 2 at high school but I forgot most it and my level of understanding in math is probably at the arithmetic level. Can anyone recommend me a good book for learning Algebra one for self study because I want to teach myself.

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
Alright I'll try those.

The Schaum's books are good for review, but IMO not as good for learning from scratch, because they are extremely terse (which is what you want when reviewing).

I'd recommend a basic algebra text if you think you have truly forgotten everything, or a precalculus text if you just feel shaky. The only precalc texts I'm personally familiar with are those by Stewart and Swokowski, and both are good. But you might go to Amazon and search for algebra and/or precalc texts, and just read the reviews. Every book seems to have a few people who don't like it for some reason, but try to find reviews from people who sound like they have the same concerns as you do, and see which books they rate highly.

Be sure you are looking at BASIC algebra books; some advanced algebra books don't show it in their title. Look through the table of contents, and if you see topics like rings or fields, it's not what you want.

And don't spend much money on texts. You can find plenty of free, public domain materials on the net, or if you prefer a book you can hold, an old used edition will work just as well as a brand new one.

Elementary Algebra by Harold Jacobs has been very helpful to me.

1. What are the key features to look for in a good algebra book?

A good algebra book should have clear explanations, plenty of practice problems with solutions, a variety of examples, and a logical progression of concepts.

2. Are there any specific algebra books that are recommended by experts?

There are many great algebra books that are recommended by experts, including "Algebra: Structure and Method" by Richard G. Brown, "Algebra and Trigonometry" by Michael Sullivan, and "Algebra: A Complete Course" by Robert A. Beezer.

3. Are there any algebra books that are suitable for self-study?

Yes, there are many algebra books that are suitable for self-study, such as "Algebra for Dummies" by Mary Jane Sterling, "Algebra Survival Guide" by Josh Rappaport, and "Algebra Essentials Practice Workbook with Answers" by Chris McMullen.

4. Can algebra books be used for different levels of proficiency?

Yes, many algebra books are designed to cater to different levels of proficiency, from beginner to advanced. It is important to choose a book that matches your current level of understanding and offers a challenging yet achievable learning experience.

5. Are there any online resources or reviews that can help in selecting a good algebra book?

Yes, there are many online resources and reviews that can help in selecting a good algebra book. Websites such as Goodreads and Amazon have user reviews and ratings for various algebra books. Online forums and discussion boards can also provide helpful insights and recommendations from other students and educators.