Plane waves: sign of Re(ε), Re(μ) in passive media, attenuation angle

In summary, my professor stated that the "attenuation angle" is 90° or lower, because:\underline{\alpha} \cdot \underline{\beta} \geq0 and this statement was derived from the following equation:(\underline{\beta} - j \underline{\alpha}) (\underline{\beta} - j \underline{\alpha}) = \omega^2 \epsilon \mu mu'' and epsilon'' are both positive in a passive medium, but what about mu' and epsilon' ?
eliotsbowe
Hello,
I'm having some issues with plane waves propagating through a medium which is:
- linear
- spatially and temporally homogeneous
- spatially non-dispersive
- isotropic
- temporally dispersive
- passive

I know that permittivity, permeability and the k-vector are complex in temporally dispersive media.

There are different notations of the above-mentioned quantities, so I'm going to briefly introduce those which I'm used to:
[tex]\epsilon (\omega) = \epsilon ' (\omega) - j \epsilon''(\omega)[/tex][tex]\mu (\omega) = \mu ' (\omega) - j \mu''(\omega)[/tex][tex]\underline{k} = \underline{\beta} - j \underline{\alpha}[/tex][tex]\underline{k} \cdot \underline{k} = \omega^2 \epsilon \mu[/tex]Where[tex]\epsilon'' , \mu'' \geq 0[/tex] in a passive medium and [tex]\alpha>0[/tex].

During class, my professor stated that, in the medium in question, the so-called "attenuation angle" (the angle between the attenuation vector alpha and the phase vector beta) is 90° or lower, because:[tex]\underline{\alpha} \cdot \underline{\beta} \geq0[/tex]
The statement was derived from the following equation:
[tex](\underline{\beta} - j \underline{\alpha}) (\underline{\beta} - j \underline{\alpha}) = \omega^2 \epsilon \mu [/tex]
(Tearing Re[] and Im[] apart we have:)
[PLAIN]http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/706/immagine1iz.png

My professor said [tex]Im[\epsilon \mu] < 0[/tex] and my issue is right here.
I carried out the product:
[tex]\epsilon \mu = (\epsilon ' - j \epsilon'' ) (\mu' - j \mu'') = \epsilon' \mu' - j \epsilon' \mu'' - j \epsilon'' \mu' - \epsilon'' \mu''[/tex][tex]Im[\epsilon \mu] = - \epsilon' \mu'' - \epsilon'' \mu' [/tex]

Mu'' and epsilon'' are non-negative, but what about mu' and epsilon' ?
Are they both positive in a passive medium?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
A magnetic response of a medium is equivalent to spatial dispersion as i omega E=rot B whence a material with mu different from mu_0 can always be described as a material with mu=mu_0 and a k dependent epsilon (that is, spatial dispersion), at least at non-zero frequency.
However, I don't see that the answer to your question depends on the medium being non-dispersive. So if you write mu=mu_0, this implies that mu''=0.
Epsilon will then be a function of k but still epsilon''>0. Hence epsilon'' mu' <0 which is all you need.

In that case, the inequality would be prooved. But my problem is: no approximation was made about epsilon and mu.

Well, that was some helpful pdf. Thanks!

1. What is the significance of the sign of Re(ε) and Re(μ) in plane waves?

The sign of Re(ε) and Re(μ) determines the direction of propagation of a plane wave in a medium. If both Re(ε) and Re(μ) are positive, the wave will propagate in the same direction as the electric and magnetic fields. If one is positive and the other is negative, the wave will propagate in the opposite direction.

2. How do passive media affect the propagation of plane waves?

Passive media, also known as lossy media, have a non-zero attenuation factor that causes the amplitude of a plane wave to decrease as it propagates through the medium. This results in a decrease in the intensity of the wave as it travels further.

3. What is the attenuation angle of a plane wave?

The attenuation angle of a plane wave is the angle at which the amplitude of the wave decreases as it propagates through a lossy medium. It is measured relative to the direction of propagation and is directly proportional to the attenuation factor of the medium.

4. How does the attenuation angle change in different media?

The attenuation angle is affected by the properties of the medium through which the plane wave is propagating. In general, higher attenuation factors result in larger attenuation angles, meaning that the wave will decrease in amplitude more rapidly as it travels through the medium.

5. What happens to a plane wave when it encounters a boundary between two different media?

When a plane wave encounters a boundary between two different media, it may be reflected, transmitted, or partially absorbed. The amount of reflection and transmission depends on the properties of the media, including their attenuation factors and indices of refraction. A portion of the wave may also be refracted, changing direction as it enters the new medium.