Selecting the Right Size AC Power Supply for a Large Solenoid Experiment

In summary, the speaker plans on using a large solenoid for a magnetic field experiment and has estimated the required amps based on the desired field. They are unsure how to select the appropriate AC power source, as vendors rate them by kVA or kW. They are also unsure if they need to consider the peak value of the sinusoidal waveform or another measure. The speaker is also asked about the frequency and potential power supplies for the experiment.
pokee
I plan on using a very large solenoid for a magnetic field experiment. I have estimated what I believe to be the inductance and resistance of the solenoid and, with the desired field to be produced, almost 20 amps will be required.

After running a simple simulation, I am not sure how to select the right size of an AC power source. Vendors have them rated by kVA or kW. But do I need to choose one based on the peak value of the sinusoidal waveform or some other measure?

Engineering news on Phys.org
pokee said:
I plan on using a very large solenoid for a magnetic field experiment. I have estimated what I believe to be the inductance and resistance of the solenoid and, with the desired field to be produced, almost 20 amps will be required.

After running a simple simulation, I am not sure how to select the right size of an AC power source. Vendors have them rated by kVA or kW. But do I need to choose one based on the peak value of the sinusoidal waveform or some other measure?

Welcome to the PF.

What frequency will you be using in this experiment? Can you post links to some typical power supplies that you are considering?

1. What factors should be considered when sizing an AC power supply?

When sizing an AC power supply, the following factors should be considered:

• The power requirements of the components being supplied
  • The voltage and current ratings of the power supply
  • The efficiency of the power supply
  • The ambient temperature and cooling requirements
  • Any additional features or functions needed, such as power factor correction

2. How do I determine the power requirements of my components?

The power requirements of components can typically be found in their datasheets. Look for the maximum current draw and voltage ratings. If this information is not available, you can use a multimeter to measure the current and voltage while the component is in use. Multiply these values to get the power requirement in watts.

3. What is the difference between AC and DC power supplies?

The main difference between AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current) power supplies is the type of current they provide. AC power supplies provide a current that changes direction periodically, while DC power supplies provide a constant current in one direction. AC power supplies are typically used for larger appliances and systems, while DC power supplies are used for smaller electronic devices.

4. How do I calculate the required power supply voltage?

To calculate the required power supply voltage, you need to know the voltage requirements of your components and the number of components you will be powering. If the components are connected in series, add up the voltage requirements of each component. If they are connected in parallel, the voltage requirement will remain the same. Once you have this total voltage requirement, add a safety margin of 10-20% to ensure the power supply can handle any fluctuations.

5. Can I use a power supply with a higher voltage or current rating than my components?

It is generally recommended to use a power supply with similar or slightly higher ratings than your components. Using a significantly higher rated power supply can result in unnecessary energy consumption and may damage your components. However, using a slightly higher rated power supply (within 10-20% of the component's requirements) can provide a safety margin and allow for future upgrades without needing to replace the power supply.