Gummel method solving the n-type semiconductor(Poisson equation)

• Thread starter rokisr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Method
In summary: In this case the potential is a function of x, so you need an array to express V(x), as an example V[x1], V[x2], V[x3],...,V[xn], where is suposed you are using n points for the simulation. You need to define an initial guess for the values of the array, as an example V[any x]=0. So, to calculate the value in the point i, (V[xi]) you will be using the values of the last iteration. In this case the first iteration will be V[xi-1]=0, V[xi+1]=0, but in the next iterations, the values will be actualized and you
rokisr
Hello,

I am trying to simulate n-type Silicon using the Gummel method (decoupled method). Here is the link where I stuck http://courses.engr.illinois.edu/ece539/Notes/ch2.pdf . There is (37) formula in the text and I cannot figure out where I need to get V(i-1) and V(i+1) terms on the right equations side.

Help!

Physics news on Phys.org
In this case the potential is a function of x, so you need an array to express V(x), as an example V[x1], V[x2], V[x3],...,V[xn], where is suposed you are using n points for the simulation. You need to define an initial guess for the values of the array, as an example V[any x]=0. So, to calculate the value in the point i, (V[xi]) you will be using the values of the last iteration. In this case the first iteration will be V[xi-1]=0, V[xi+1]=0, but in the next iterations, the values will be actualized and you will have new values different of zero for V[xi-1], V[xi+1].

I'm also trying to implement this method, I found this article useful for me, maybe it can guide you a little:

Device model for the operation of polymer/fullerene bulk heterojunction solar cells, L. J. A. Koster, E. C. P. Smits, V. D. Mihailetchi, and P. W. M. Blom, PHYSICAL REVIEW B 72, 085205 (2005)

This is the original article of Gummel:
A Self -Consistent Iterative Scheme for One-Dimensional Steady State Transistor Calculations, H. K. GUMMEL, IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON ELECTRON DEVICES, 455, 1964

Thanks for your reply and sorry for my late answer :).
I would like to ask about which device you are writing a model. Because I am writing about pn junction (time-independent dn/dt=dp/dt=0) and my programme shows just a little convergence when bias voltage is applied. I need an advice.

Thanks!

What is the Gummel method?

The Gummel method is a numerical technique used to solve the Poisson equation in n-type semiconductors. It is a self-consistent method that takes into account both the potential and carrier concentrations in the semiconductor.

Why is the Gummel method used to solve the Poisson equation in n-type semiconductors?

The Gummel method is often preferred for solving the Poisson equation in n-type semiconductors because it can handle complex doping profiles and boundary conditions. It also converges faster than other methods such as the finite difference method.

What is the Poisson equation and why is it important in semiconductor physics?

The Poisson equation is a partial differential equation that describes the electric potential in a medium with varying charge density. It is important in semiconductor physics because it relates the electric potential to the distribution of charge carriers, which is crucial for understanding the behavior of semiconductor devices.

What are the key assumptions made in the Gummel method?

The Gummel method assumes that the material is homogenous and isotropic, and that the electric field is one-dimensional. It also assumes that the carrier concentrations are low enough to neglect carrier-carrier interactions, and that the material is in thermal equilibrium.

What are the limitations of the Gummel method?

The Gummel method is not suitable for highly non-linear problems or for materials with high doping concentrations. It also does not take into account the effects of temperature and non-equilibrium conditions. In these cases, other methods such as the drift-diffusion method may be more appropriate.