Civil Engineering Technology/Science questions

In summary, a civil engineering technology degree is more oriented toward hands-on lab, shop, or field work while an engineering degree is more technical and theoretical. However, if you live and work in Pittsburgh and have no other choice, a civil engineering technology degree would still be valuable.
sdelia6=63
So i have a bachelors degree in business administration and i feel like that is not enough for the life that i eventually want. so basically i have this this feeling that i should go back to school for a post-baccalaureate degree.
i have come to the conclusion, since high school really, that i want to study civil engineering.
i am looking at universities to go to and some of them offer civil engineering tech. i was just wondering what is the main focus of a civil engineering tech?
basically what's the difference between a tech and a regular engineer?
one of the universities that i am looking at in pittsburgh only offers a tech and says that they can pursue the same licensure as a normal engineer?
the program offers a lot of the same classes, however as far as calculus goes it only goes up to calcII.

i don't know, I am just confused on this whole subject
any insight to this would be great.
and if there are any civil engineering techs out there, i would love to hear about your job

phew, and thanks a lot anyone!

Physics news on Phys.org
In very general terms, an engineering technology degree is more oriented toward hands-on lab, shop, or field work while an engineering degree is more technical and theoretical.

No offense to people with engineering technology degrees, but I would recommend you pursue a degree in civil engineering. Many companies (right or wrong) will not acknowledge and engineering technology degree for an engineering position.

But if you live and work in Pittsburgh and have no other choice, a civil engineering technology degree would still be valuable.

Registration as a Professional Engineer varies from state to state. However, I looked up Pennsylvania's requirements and found this in their regulations, section 4.2(b)1(ii) regarding the requirements to sit for the EIT exam:

"...eight or more years of progressive experience in engineering work and knowledge, skill and education approximating that attained through graduation from an approved engineering curriculum."

So in theory you don't even need the Engineering Technology degree for the EIT as long as you can document your experience.

Then all EIT licensees need to either teach approved courses or document progressively responsible engineering work for four years.

You can find the gory details here:
http://www.portal.state.pa.us/porta..._0_185581_1059258_0_0_18/EngLSGeo Act 367.pdf

Again, this is only for the state of Pennsylvania. Other states have slightly different regulations. You may find others with more favorable regulations, but you'll then need to apply for reciprocity in the state of Pennsylvania.

In general I agree with edgepflow. Get the four year degree. It will make your application process much easier and the time requirements working at various places shorter.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the difference between civil engineering and civil engineering technology?

Civil engineering is a broad field that focuses on the design, construction, and maintenance of infrastructure such as roads, bridges, and buildings. Civil engineering technology is a more specialized area that focuses on applying engineering principles and technology to assist in the design and construction process.

2. What types of projects do civil engineering technologists work on?

Civil engineering technologists work on a variety of projects, including transportation systems, water and sewage systems, and building construction. They may also be involved in surveying, drafting, and project management.

3. What skills are important for a career in civil engineering technology?

Some important skills for a career in civil engineering technology include strong math and science abilities, attention to detail, critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and proficiency in computer-aided design (CAD) software.

4. What education is required to become a civil engineering technologist?

Most employers require a minimum of an associate's degree in civil engineering technology or a closely related field. Some positions may also require a bachelor's degree in civil engineering or a related engineering field.

5. What job opportunities are available for civil engineering technologists?

Civil engineering technologists can work in a variety of industries, including construction, consulting firms, government agencies, and engineering services companies. They may also have opportunities to specialize in specific areas such as structural design, transportation engineering, or environmental engineering.