A/F Ratio & BSFC: Q&A to Understand Effects

• Thread starter krish1988
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ratio
In summary, the conversation revolved around questions regarding the influence of air/fuel ratio on engine output and Brake specific fuel consumption (BSFC). The discussion also touched on why BSFC increases at low engine output and improves as engine output increases. The effects of early and late injection timing were also mentioned. The conversation referenced posts on a mechanical engineering forum and suggested using advanced search to find more information. The specific engine mentioned was the Ricardo E6 C.I. Engine and the conversation concluded with a recommendation to start by researching the topic on Wikipedia.
krish1988
I have few questions as i am bit confused

Q1. I want to know what are the influence of the air/fuel ratio on engine output and Brake specific fuel consumption (BSFC).

Q2. why bsfc increases at low engine output?

Q3. why bsfc improves as engine output increases?

Q4. what are the effects of early and late injection timing?

Engineering news on Phys.org
see these posts in this forum...

type in the topics in advanced search ..mech eng forum

Why the engine spins faster when I accelerate?
Aug15-11, 04:41 PM

Horsepower - Please help - Confused!

Feb14-09, 05:36 AM

It wasn't a great help?

What sort of engine are you enquiring about?

i am looking at Ricardo E6 C.I. Engine. I just want to know general influences.

1. What is A/F ratio?

The A/F ratio, or air-to-fuel ratio, is the ratio of the mass of air to the mass of fuel in a combustion process. It is typically expressed as a decimal or percentage.

2. How does A/F ratio affect engine performance?

The A/F ratio plays a crucial role in determining the power output and efficiency of an engine. An A/F ratio that is too rich (excess fuel) can lead to incomplete combustion and decreased efficiency, while an A/F ratio that is too lean (excess air) can result in engine knocking and potential damage.

3. What is BSFC?

BSFC, or brake-specific fuel consumption, is a measure of the amount of fuel consumed by an engine per unit of power produced. It is typically expressed in units of grams per kilowatt-hour or pounds per horsepower-hour.

4. How does BSFC relate to A/F ratio?

BSFC is affected by the A/F ratio, with the optimal A/F ratio resulting in the lowest BSFC. This is because an optimal A/F ratio ensures the most complete combustion and efficient use of fuel.

5. What factors can affect A/F ratio and BSFC?

Several factors can impact A/F ratio and BSFC, including engine design, fuel quality, air intake temperature, altitude, and load on the engine. Proper calibration and maintenance of the engine are also essential for achieving optimal A/F ratio and BSFC.