Question about the shutdown of Tevatron last month at Fermilab National Lab

In summary, the tevatron at Fermilab National Laboratory was shut down on September 30, 2011 and particle research is now primarily done at CERN. This may be disappointing news for those interested in high energy physics internships at Fermilab, as it is unlikely that they will be able to fly interns to CERN. It is suggested to contact Fermilab for more information on internship opportunities.
Nano-Passion
The tevatron was shut september 30, 2011 at Fermilab National Laboratory. Basically the particle research is now done in CERN instead. This is bad news because I was planning to do an internship there for high energy physics.

Does this mean that I shouldn't be applying for high energy physics in Fermilab National Laboratory? I greatly doubt they will fly you to CERN for an internship. If someone can please shed some light on this it would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you considered contacted them regarding this?

sandy.bridge said:
Have you considered contacted them regarding this?

Yes, I already have actually [I left a message] but I believe they won't be there till Monday. I just posted this topic because I'm in a rush to finish my application, but I'll see soon I guess.

1. What is the Tevatron?

The Tevatron was a particle accelerator located at the Fermilab National Accelerator Laboratory in Illinois, USA. It was the second largest particle accelerator in the world and operated from 1983 to 2011.

2. Why was the Tevatron shut down?

The Tevatron was shut down in September 2011 because it had reached the end of its planned operational lifespan and was no longer able to compete with newer and more powerful particle accelerators.

3. What scientific discoveries were made at the Tevatron?

The Tevatron was instrumental in the discovery of the top quark, the heaviest known fundamental particle at the time, in 1995. It also played a role in the search for the Higgs boson, a fundamental particle that was finally discovered at the Large Hadron Collider in 2012.

4. What impact did the shutdown of the Tevatron have on scientific research?

The shutdown of the Tevatron marked the end of an era in particle physics research and shifted the focus to larger and more powerful particle accelerators. However, the data collected from the Tevatron is still being analyzed and used in ongoing research projects.

5. Is there any plan to replace the Tevatron with a new particle accelerator?

At this time, there are no plans to replace the Tevatron with a new particle accelerator at Fermilab. However, there are plans for future upgrades and expansions to the existing facilities, such as the development of the Long-Baseline Neutrino Facility.