Guidance Needed in Electrical Engineering

In summary, the person is considering specializing in Electrical Engineering and has a strong interest in working with computer hardware. They are unsure of the differences between Computer, Microelectronics, and Electronic Engineering. They are also considering a double major in Computer Science or Applied Mathematics, but are unsure which would be more relevant for working with hardware in Computer Engineering. They are also questioning the demand for Computer Engineering and the job prospects in the field.
AAlan
Hello, I'm about to specialize within Electrical Engineering but I'm unsure of some aspects.

I have my heart set on working with computer hardware like creating motherboards and processors, but I really don't know what the significant difference between Computer, Microelectronics and Electronic Engineering.

Also, since I'm offered to take a either a double major in Computer Science or Applied Mathematics. Would Applied Mathematics take me further in "Computer engineering" if I'm looking to work with hardware rather than the software concentration of the field?

Also I'm wondering if Computer Engineering is actually in demand, because frankly I see many unemployed computer engineers, and well only 1 or 2 people in 300 graduated from computer engineering in my university.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
I have my heart set on working with computer hardware like creating motherboards and processors, but I really don't know what the significant difference between Computer, Microelectronics and Electronic Engineering.

Looks like you already have it narrowed down enough to proceed.

Undergraduate classes you might take are computer engineering, microprocessor engineering, electronics, digital electronics. Particularly digital electronics. Once you have taken all those classes, you will probably know what you need to do to go further.

Also, since I'm offered to take a either a double major in Computer Science or Applied Mathematics. Would Applied Mathematics take me further in "Computer engineering" if I'm looking to work with hardware rather than the software concentration of the field?

I don't know that applied math would be that relevant. From what I saw of computer engineering, the math is pretty light. I think computer science would probably be better. The math that I think would be most relevant is mathematical logic, combinatorics, theory of algorithms and computation, automata theory, which is not really applied math. "Applied" math tends to be stuff like differential equations and numerical methods. What you want is more like discrete math. You can do applied discrete math, but usually the stuff that has the "applied" label attached to it in courses is PDE, ODE, and numerical.

1. What is electrical engineering?

Electrical engineering is a field of engineering that focuses on the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism. It involves designing, developing, testing, and maintaining electrical systems, components, and devices.

2. What kind of guidance is needed in electrical engineering?

Guidance in electrical engineering can vary depending on the specific area of focus, but generally includes understanding fundamental concepts and principles, problem-solving skills, practical hands-on experience, and knowledge of industry standards and regulations.

3. What are some common challenges in electrical engineering?

Some common challenges in electrical engineering include dealing with complex and constantly evolving technology, ensuring safety and reliability of electrical systems, and finding innovative solutions to problems.

4. What are the job prospects for electrical engineers?

The job prospects for electrical engineers are generally good, as there is a high demand for professionals with this skill set in various industries such as manufacturing, telecommunications, and renewable energy. With the advancement of technology, the demand for electrical engineers is expected to continue to grow.

5. How can I get started in a career in electrical engineering?

To get started in a career in electrical engineering, it is important to have a strong foundation in math and science, as well as a degree in electrical engineering or a related field. Gaining practical experience through internships or co-op programs can also be beneficial, as well as staying updated on industry developments and advancements.