Representation Theory and Particle Theory

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of representation theory of finite groups and Lie groups/algebra in quantum mechanics and quantum field theory. The concept of irreducible representations and their connection to particles and the Casimir element is mentioned. The conversation also requests recommendations for resources to learn about the relationship between representation theory and quantum physics.
fscman
I am familiar with the representation theory of finite groups and Lie groups/algebra from the mathematical perspective, and I am wondering how quantum mechanics/quantum field theory uses concepts from representation theory. I have seen the theory of angular momentum in quantum mechanics, and I realized that Lx, Ly, and Lz, the components of angular momentum, are elements of the Lie algebra SO(3). I also heard of the notion that irreducible representations correspond with elementary particles and that the Casimir element can measure scalar quantities such as mass. Unfortunately, my knowledge in this area is merely a bunch of scattered facts. Could anyone explain the foundations of the relationship between representation theory and quantum physics, or provide a resource (book or website) that explains this connection? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would recommend the second chapter of Weinberg's Quantum theory of Fields, he does construct the particle states from the irreducible representations of the Lorentz Group.

The best place I know to read about particles and irreducible representations is chapter 2 of Weinberg's QFT book. I'm not saying that it's great, only that it's not bad for a physics book, and that I don't know a better place. Link

Edit: D'oh. Too slow again.

Yep, burned ;)

Ballentine has some discussion of irreducible representations (although he doesn't use that term) and their role in QM.

BTW, I have the opposite problem. I have a general idea about the role of Lie groups in QM, but I'd like to learn some math: representation of finite groups, semisimplicity, irreps, and then once I've mastered that stuff Lie groups and Lie algebras. Does anyone know of a good intro to that kind of material, something accessible to me having only taken a standard undergrad abstract algebra course?

lugita15 said:
Ballentine has some discussion of irreducible representations (although he doesn't use that term) and their role in QM.

BTW, I have the opposite problem. I have a general idea about the role of Lie groups in QM, but I'd like to learn some math: representation of finite groups, semisimplicity, irreps, and then once I've mastered that stuff Lie groups and Lie algebras. Does anyone know of a good intro to that kind of material, something accessible to me having only taken a standard undergrad abstract algebra course?

That's pretty interesting...how did you manage to understand its role within - and connection to - QM if you didn't know the mathematics of group & representation theory ? I am trying to self-study this area at the moment ( I'm not a scientist by trade ), but am finding it hard going.

lugita15 said:

Shouldn't be hard to find what you are looking for, a lot of group theory books start by introducing the representation theory and its concepts before going to the special case of Lie Groups, one example:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0387788654/?tag=pfamazon01-20

1. What is representation theory?

Representation theory is a branch of mathematics that studies abstract algebraic structures by representing them in more concrete and familiar mathematical objects. It deals with the study of group actions and their associated representations, which can help understand the structure and behavior of these groups.

2. How is representation theory related to particle theory?

Particle theory, also known as high-energy physics, is a branch of physics that studies the fundamental building blocks of matter and their interactions. Representation theory plays a crucial role in this field by providing a framework for understanding the symmetries and transformations of particles and their interactions through the use of group representations.

3. What are some applications of representation theory in particle theory?

Representation theory has many applications in particle theory, some of which include predicting the existence of new particles based on their symmetries and classifying particles based on their representations. It is also used in understanding the behavior of particles in high-energy collisions and in developing mathematical models for particle interactions.

4. Can representation theory be applied to other areas of physics?

Yes, representation theory has applications in various areas of physics, including quantum mechanics, condensed matter physics, and general relativity. It provides a powerful tool for studying symmetries and transformations in these fields, allowing for a deeper understanding of their underlying structures.

5. What are some current research topics in representation theory and particle theory?

Some current research topics in this field include the application of representation theory to the study of dark matter and dark energy, the use of group representations in developing quantum field theories, and the exploration of new mathematical structures and their connections to particle physics.