Graduate degrees in engineering for non-engineering bachelors

In summary: Your Name]In summary, there are several programs available for students with non-engineering backgrounds to pursue a career in engineering. The Leap program at Boston University is one such program, and there are also similar programs in Canada, Europe, and other parts of the world. It is recommended to research and consider universities that offer conversion programs in Norway and France.
H2Bro
In another thread I found someone mention this program at Boston U (http://www.bu.edu/eng/academics/special-programs/leap/) for students with bachelors in non-engineering fields, like liberal arts + humanities, that can do the makeup coursework and then attain a masters in engineering.

I'm curious if other folks on this forum have heard of similar programs, either in Canada or Europe. As a Canadian citizen I am quite keen to stay within-country, thought I also have access to free housing in Oslo, Norway and Ferney-Voltaire, France (right near CERN) - so if you are aware of programs in these areas please do mention!

I have done some preliminary searching but it seems BU's Leap program is somewhat unique... I will continue looking and appreciate any information you folks might have.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

I am a scientist with a background in engineering and I am familiar with the program at Boston University that you mentioned. I agree that it is a great opportunity for students with non-engineering backgrounds to pursue a career in engineering. I have also come across similar programs in other parts of the world.

In Canada, the University of Toronto offers a Master of Engineering (MEng) program for students with non-engineering backgrounds. This program is designed to provide students with the necessary coursework and training to transition into a career in engineering. The University of Waterloo also offers a similar program called the Master of Applied Science (MASc) in Engineering.

In Europe, there are several universities that offer similar programs for students with non-engineering backgrounds. Some examples include the Master of Engineering Conversion Program at the University of Oxford in the UK, the Master of Science in Engineering at ETH Zurich in Switzerland, and the Master of Science in Engineering at the Technical University of Munich in Germany.

I am not familiar with any specific programs in Norway or France, but I would suggest looking into universities in those countries that offer similar conversion programs for students with non-engineering backgrounds.

I hope this information is helpful and I wish you all the best in your search for a suitable program. Feel free to reach out if you have any further questions.

1. What are the benefits of pursuing a graduate degree in engineering for those with a non-engineering bachelor's degree?

There are several benefits to pursuing a graduate degree in engineering for non-engineering bachelors. Firstly, it allows individuals to gain specialized knowledge and skills in a specific field of engineering. This can make them more competitive in the job market and open up new career opportunities. Additionally, it can lead to higher salaries and advancement in the engineering industry. Lastly, it allows individuals to bridge the gap between their non-engineering background and an engineering career.

2. What are the admission requirements for graduate programs in engineering for non-engineering bachelors?

The admission requirements for graduate programs in engineering for non-engineering bachelors vary depending on the university or program. Generally, most programs will require applicants to have a bachelor's degree in a related field, such as math or science, and a strong foundation in math and physics. Some programs may also require applicants to have relevant work experience or submit GRE scores. It is important to check the specific requirements for each program before applying.

3. Can I pursue a graduate degree in engineering with a non-engineering bachelor's degree from a different field?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a graduate degree in engineering with a non-engineering bachelor's degree from a different field. Many universities offer bridge programs or prerequisite courses for students with non-engineering backgrounds to prepare them for graduate level engineering courses. These programs may take longer to complete, but they provide a pathway for individuals to transition into an engineering career.

4. Will I be at a disadvantage compared to those with an undergraduate degree in engineering?

While having an undergraduate degree in engineering may give you a slight advantage, it is not necessary for pursuing a graduate degree in engineering. Many successful engineers come from non-engineering backgrounds and bring unique perspectives and skills to the field. However, it is important to have a strong foundation in math and physics to succeed in a graduate engineering program.

5. What career opportunities are available for those with a graduate degree in engineering and a non-engineering bachelor's degree?

Graduate degrees in engineering for non-engineering bachelors can lead to a variety of career opportunities. Some common career paths include research and development, project management, consulting, and technical sales. With specialized knowledge and skills, individuals can also pursue roles in specific areas of engineering, such as environmental engineering, biomedical engineering, or aerospace engineering.