Design 12V or 24V Timer for Hydroponics System

In summary, this person wants to run water pumps for hydroponics, but is not familiar with electronics and would like help.
billa14
Hi

This is my first time on this site and it looks great so far.

It doesn't matter if it is 12v or 24v either will do which ever is the easiest.

What I would like is to be able to run say up to 6 12volt 5 amp water
pumps for my hydroponics individually say every 2 hours for 10 minutes.
In other words the first pump switches on for 10 minutes then off then
no. 2 pump starts etc, automatically. Only 1 pump runs at a time.
If a timer can be used that I can adjust accordingly would be great.

I would like to feed it from 240 volts if I can.

I was told that a home irrigation system with timer on it can be used with some extras added.

I am not electronically minded so to work this out is beyond me.

Can someone draw up a design for me, and if interested make it and I would gladly pay for the services.

Can someone please help.

billa14

Engineering news on Phys.org
hi billa

remember google is your friend ... there 's so much info there on commercial programmable timers with hi voltage switching like this one that I use

http://www.mwave.com.au/sku-34010116-Digital_Mains_Timer_Switch_Modules_LED_Power_Indicator_16A_@_240VAC_Switching_Ca

dunno where you live but you will probably find it available ... they are brilliant and a good price
have a look at the specs and see if it will do what you desire as far as time setting

I use one for a house use to switch on and off 240V lighting for the tropical fish tank when on holiday

Dave

billa14 said:
... I would like is to be able to run say up to 6 12volt 5 amp water pumps for my hydroponics individually say every 2 hours for 10 minutes.

Welcome to Physics Forums.

How fancy do you want to get? And are you comfortable with PCs and some wiring?

If so, then the MULTI-EVENT RELAY CONTROL board may be of interest.

You need multiple outputs that can be individually programed. If you add a 24VAC supply (24vac secondary of transformer say), add the pump relays (as these on-board relay outputs are only rated at 3amps), and program the outputs with a PC using a RS-232 COM, you can have lots of flexibility with you times, intervals, etc. It would be easy to change the programming and experiment.

Anyway. Have fun.

What is a timer for hydroponics system?

A timer for hydroponics system is an electronic device that controls the duration and frequency of watering and lighting in a hydroponic setup. It can be set to turn on and off at specific times, allowing for automated and precise control of the hydroponic environment.

Why is a timer important for a hydroponics system?

A timer is crucial for a hydroponics system because it helps to maintain consistent and optimal conditions for plant growth. It ensures that plants receive the right amount of water and light at the right time, which is essential for their growth and development. Additionally, a timer can save time and effort for the grower by automating the watering and lighting process.

What is the difference between a 12V and 24V timer for hydroponics system?

The main difference between a 12V and 24V timer for hydroponics system is the voltage they operate on. A 12V timer requires a 12V power supply, while a 24V timer requires a 24V power supply. Generally, a 24V timer is more powerful and can handle larger systems with more components, while a 12V timer is better suited for smaller setups.

How do I choose between a 12V or 24V timer for my hydroponics system?

The choice between a 12V or 24V timer depends on the size and complexity of your hydroponic setup. If you have a small and simple system, a 12V timer may be sufficient. However, if you have a larger and more complex setup, a 24V timer would be a better choice as it can handle more components and provide more power.

Can I use any timer for my hydroponics system?

No, it is important to choose a timer specifically designed for use in hydroponic systems. These timers are designed to be waterproof, durable, and can handle the unique electrical requirements of a hydroponic setup. Regular timers may not be suitable and can pose a safety hazard.