Calculating Intensity of Spherical Wave & Pendulum T - Confirm Correct Answers

• Thread starter Soaring Crane
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shm
In summary, using the formula I_2/I_1 = (r_1)^2/(r_2)^2, the intensity of a spherical wave at a distance of 3 m away from a constantly emitting source with an intensity of 21 W/m^2 at a distance of 16 m would be 588 W/m^2 or 600 W/m^2. Similarly, if the length of a pendulum with a period of 10 s were halved, the new period would be 7.1 s. This is because the intensity of a spherical wave is proportional to the inverse square of the distance and the period of a pendulum is proportional to the square root of its length.
Soaring Crane
The intensity of a spherical wave is 21 W/m^2 at a distance 16 m away from a constantly emitting source. What will it be 3 m away?

Using the formula

I_2/I_1 = (r_1)^2/(r_2)^2

I got 588 W/m^2 0r 600. Correct?

If the length of pendulum with T = 10 s were halved, what would be its new T?

My answer was 7.1. Correct?

Halved scenario:

T = 2pi*sqrt(L/2g)

but first find original L with

10 s = 2pi*sqrt(L/9.8) to plug in.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
first answer is correct: I is proportional to the inverse square since the source emits energy in spherical wave fronts and the surface area of a sphere is 4*pi*r^2.

the second anser sounds good but i haven't a calculator near me. The period of a pendulum is proportional to the square root of the length so T1/T2=(L1/L2)^.5 so the answer reduces to 10/2^.5 or 10/1.4

The second is right too.

1. How do you calculate the intensity of a spherical wave?

The intensity of a spherical wave can be calculated using the formula I = P/A, where I is the intensity, P is the power of the wave, and A is the area of the sphere surrounding the source of the wave.

2. What is the difference between intensity and amplitude of a wave?

The amplitude of a wave refers to the maximum displacement of the wave from its equilibrium position, while intensity is a measure of the energy per unit area of the wave. In other words, amplitude is a measure of the strength of the wave, while intensity is a measure of its brightness or loudness.

3. How does the distance from a source impact the intensity of a spherical wave?

As the distance from a source of a spherical wave increases, the intensity of the wave decreases. This is because the same amount of energy is spread out over a larger area, resulting in a lower intensity.

4. How do you calculate the period of a pendulum?

The period of a pendulum can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period, L is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. What factors affect the period of a pendulum?

The length of the pendulum and the acceleration due to gravity are the two main factors that affect the period of a pendulum. Other factors, such as the mass of the pendulum bob and air resistance, may also have a small impact on the period.