Anybody attends university of Toronto for physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of finding the right environment to thrive in, using the analogy of joining the military. The speaker shares their experience of attending a big and expensive undergraduate university and how it may have affected their future. They also mention the difficulty in redoing history and the importance of talking to alumni and upperclassmen to get a sense of what the future may hold. The conversation then shifts to the topic of the University of Toronto and the speaker's interest in attending for physics. They express interest in learning about the school's life, research opportunities, competitions and grades, as well as the overall satisfaction of graduates in the real world.
arpeggio
twofish-quant said:
The most important thing is how you fit with the environment. I went to a big expensive undergraduate, and it was worth it, because it was an environment in which I thrived, but I know people that went to the same school and just burned out. It's like joining the Marines. Some people love the military life, but some people hate it.

One problem with these sorts of discussions is that it's impossible to redo history. I *strongly suspect* that the reputation of my undergraduate university really didn't help me that much, but it's impossible for me to know. Part of the reason it's hard/impossible to rerun history is that if I had gone to another school, I would be someone else. One reason that it's important to talk to alumni and upperclassmen is that often the choice of school ends up doing a decision on who you want to be, and if you talk to alumni, you'll get a hint of what you'll look like in ten years.

I got accepted to University of Toronto for physics
So I would like to know more about my future undergrad
It would be amazing if upperyear students from university of toronto (preferably st.geroge campus) tell me about the school
ex)
1. School life
2. Research opportunity
3. Competitions and grades
4. ummmm would you attend it again if you had a choice?
5. overall satisfaction...

Physics news on Phys.org
I am bumping, since I am also interested in the answer to this question. I am contemplating attending U of t for Physics next year, as is arpeggio. I am particularly interested in research opportunities, but would also love to know how U of T graduates fair in the real world (Industry).

1. What is the reputation of the University of Toronto's physics program?

The University of Toronto is widely recognized as one of the top universities in Canada for physics. The program has a strong reputation for its rigorous curriculum and cutting-edge research opportunities.

2. How competitive is it to get accepted into the University of Toronto's physics program?

Admission to the University of Toronto's physics program is highly competitive. Applicants are evaluated based on their academic achievements, extracurricular activities, and personal statements. The university also considers the strength of the applicant pool in a given year.

3. What types of research opportunities are available for physics students at the University of Toronto?

The University of Toronto offers a wide range of research opportunities for physics students. These include working with faculty on their research projects, participating in summer research programs, and conducting independent research projects through the honors thesis program.

4. How does the University of Toronto's physics program prepare students for their future careers?

The physics program at the University of Toronto provides students with a strong foundation in both theoretical and experimental physics. Students also have the opportunity to participate in co-op and internship programs, gaining practical experience in their field. The university also has a strong network of alumni who are actively involved in helping students find job opportunities after graduation.

5. Are there any notable alumni from the University of Toronto's physics program?

The University of Toronto has produced many successful alumni in the field of physics, including Nobel laureates, industry leaders, and renowned researchers. Some notable alumni include physicist and astronaut Roberta Bondar, Nobel Prize winner Arthur B. McDonald, and theoretical physicist and science communicator Michio Kaku.