Gravitational waves, electromagntic waves and charged particles

In summary, gravitational waves are disturbances in space-time that carry energy and were predicted by Einstein's theory of general relativity. Electromagnetic waves are oscillations of electric and magnetic fields that travel through a vacuum at the speed of light. Charged particles can interact with electromagnetic waves in various ways, and both types of waves can be used to study phenomena like black holes and neutron stars. Gravitational waves are detected with interferometers, while electromagnetic waves are detected with telescopes and other instruments. Both can also be indirectly detected through their effects on charged particles and other objects.
graupner1000
Hi all,

I am trying to out what happens when a gravitational wave caused by a monochromatic, electromagnetic plane wave interacts with a charged particle. As we all know, the electromagnetic wave causes the particle to follow a figure of eight shaped path (in the particles rest frame anyway). I've gone through some calculation and have some results, but am not sure whether they are remotely sensible. So I though, I would just search the internet for someone who had done the calculation and see if the answers corresponded. However, search as I may, there is nothing to be found on the subject except for the case with neutral particles (already done that one).

So was hoping someone here might know where I might find such material as I can't imagine that no one else has done this.

Many thanks :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
graupner1000 said:
a gravitational wave caused by a monochromatic, electromagnetic plane wave

A monochromatic, electromagnetic plane wave cannot cause a gravitational wave. So there will be no effect on the charged particle other than the usual effect from Maxwell's Equations.

What are gravitational waves?

Gravitational waves are disturbances in the fabric of space-time that propagate outward from a source, carrying energy with them. They were predicted by Albert Einstein's theory of general relativity and were recently observed for the first time in 2015.

What are electromagnetic waves?

Electromagnetic waves are a type of wave that consists of oscillating electric and magnetic fields, and can travel through a vacuum at the speed of light. They are produced by accelerating electric charges and can have a wide range of frequencies, including radio waves, microwaves, visible light, and X-rays.

How are charged particles affected by electromagnetic waves?

Charged particles can interact with electromagnetic waves in a variety of ways, depending on the frequency and intensity of the waves. They may be accelerated, deflected, or absorbed by the waves, which can have significant effects on their behavior and movement through space.

What is the relationship between gravitational waves and electromagnetic waves?

Gravitational waves and electromagnetic waves are two distinct types of waves that propagate through space. While gravitational waves are caused by changes in the curvature of space-time, electromagnetic waves are caused by oscillating electric and magnetic fields. However, both can interact with each other and can be used to study the same phenomena, such as black holes and neutron stars.

How are gravitational waves and electromagnetic waves detected?

Gravitational waves are currently detected using interferometers, which measure tiny changes in the length of two perpendicular arms caused by passing gravitational waves. Electromagnetic waves are detected using telescopes and other instruments that measure the intensity and frequency of the waves. Both types of waves can also be indirectly detected through their effects on charged particles and other objects in space.