Calculating Related Rates: Conical Bin Sand Flow at 10 Minutes

In summary: Aki for the informative conversation. It seems like you are both trying to solve the same problem, but with slightly different approaches. In summary, the question asks for the rate of change of the height of sand in a conically shaped bin after 10 minutes. Additional information needed to solve the problem is the height of the bin, which is 8 m. Tide has provided a formula for finding the volume of a partial cone, while Aki has calculated the rate of change to be 0.12 m/min using the equation provided by Tide.
Jcryan
Ok. This is the question I got from a friend of the family. There is a conically shaped bin in which sand is poured in at a rate of 2.4 m3 per minute. The sand escapes out the bottom of the conically shaped bin at 0.8 m3 per minute. The opening at the top has a radius of 5 m and the opening in which the sand is escaping is 0.5 m. The question asks for the rate of depth change after 10 minutes. I took Calculus but absolutely hate word questions. Anyway the most I can figure is that they are asking for the rate of change of the height of sand in the container.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure there wasn't any additional information provided - such as the cone angle?

Well the only thing that was provided that I don't think I mentioned was the height of the bin is 8 m.

Jcryan said:
Well the only thing that was provided that I don't think I mentioned was the height of the bin is 8 m.

That is essential information!

If R is the radius at the top, r the radius at the bottom and H is the height of the bin then the height of the deposited sand relative to the bottom is

[tex]h = \left[ \left( \frac {3V}{\pi} \frac {R-r}{H} + r^3 \right)^{1/3} - r\right] \frac {H}{R-r}[/tex]

where V is the volume of the deposited sand. Basically, you find the volume of partial (right circular) cone and solve for h.

I calculated the rate of change to be 0.0115 m/min.

related rates problems are cool
i couldn't figure out Tide's part but can see how he did it.
anyway i worked through the question and got a different answer to aki, here is what i did
we want to find (where h is defined in Tide's post)
[tex]\frac{dh}{dt}[/tex]

where

[tex]\frac{dh}{dt} = \frac{dh}{dV}\frac{dV}{dt}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dV}{dt} = 1.6 [/tex] and

[tex]\frac{dh}{dV} = 0.07513809118[/tex] after 10 mins ( i took V=16 after 10 mins)
so

[tex]\frac{dh}{dt} = 0.12 m / min [/tex]

just interested to know if the procedure was right, might have type the equation wrong in maple

Last edited:
Ok. Sorry about missing the height thing. Had to reread the post just to realize I forgot it. Sorry to bother you again while I get where vladimir69 got his equation to solve the problem I was wondering if Tide could expound on how he developed the formula he created.

Jcryan,

I can get you started.

To calculate the volume of a partial (right circular) cone suppose the top radius is R and the bottom radius is r and the separation between the top and bottom is h. If it were a complete cone with the bottom extending downward to a vertex then its volume would simply be

[tex]\frac {\pi}{3} R^2 H[/tex]

where H is the height of the complete cone. For our partial cone, the volume will be the difference

[tex]\frac {\pi}{3} R^2 H - \frac {\pi}{3} r^2 (H-h)[/tex]

We don't know what H is but we do know that the large and small cones are similar so that

[tex]\frac {R}{H} = \frac {r}{H-h}[/tex]

which you can use in the equation for the volume of the partial cone to find

[tex]V = \frac {\pi}{3} \frac {R^3 - r^3}{R - r} h[/tex]

To address your particular problem I have to change notation just a little. I'm going to represent the height of the bin by H and the height of the sand's upper surface to be h. If the radius of the upper surface of the sand is [itex]R_s[/itex] then

[tex]R_s = r + (R - r) \frac {h}{H}[/tex]

so the volume of the deposited sand is

[tex]V = \frac {\pi}{3} \frac {R_s^3-r^3}{R_s - r} \frac {R_s - r}{R - r} H[/tex]

or

[tex]V = \frac {\pi}{3} \frac {R_s^3 - r^3}{R - r} H[/tex]

and to complete the derivation replace [itex]R_s[/itex] in V using the equation above and solve for h.

Thanks Tide

1. What are "related rates" questions?

Related rates questions involve finding the rate at which one quantity changes in relation to another quantity. This is usually done using calculus, specifically the derivative.

2. How do I approach solving related rates questions?

The first step is to identify the quantities that are changing and the relationship between them. Then, use the chain rule to find the derivative of the related quantities. Finally, set up an equation using the given information and solve for the desired rate.

3. Can you provide an example of a related rates problem?

Sure, an example could be: A ladder is leaning against a wall and sliding down at a rate of 2 feet per minute. If the bottom of the ladder is initially 12 feet from the wall, how fast is the top of the ladder moving when it is 9 feet from the wall?

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving related rates questions?

Some common mistakes include not properly identifying the changing quantities and their relationship, forgetting to use the chain rule, and not setting up the equation correctly. It's important to carefully read the question and double check your work to avoid these errors.

5. Are there any tips for solving related rates questions more efficiently?

One tip is to draw a diagram to visualize the problem and label all the given information. Also, it can be helpful to use variables instead of numbers until the end to make the calculations simpler. Practice and familiarity with the concepts will also make solving these types of questions more efficient.