Looking for research areas/topics accessible to a highschooler

• Thread starter Dimitri Cerre
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Research
In summary, highschoolers have access to various research areas/topics, including biology, chemistry, physics, environmental science, and social sciences. They can find these topics by seeking guidance from teachers or mentors, attending events, and brainstorming ideas. While there may be limitations on resources, there are no limitations on the topics that can be explored. It is recommended for highschoolers to seek guidance when conducting research, but they can also conduct research independently. Pursuing research as a highschooler can lead to the development of critical thinking and problem-solving skills, hands-on experience in the scientific method, and potential contributions to the scientific community.
Dimitri Cerre
My high-school science department has decided to add an independent research course, which i will be interviewing for a position in later this week. I would love the opportunity, and to learn about research methodology, but I'm having a hard time coming up with an potential research areas that would be possible with a high-school science lab, and haven't already been done to death. I've quite literally been able to come up with nothing, does anyone have any ideas that would be at least somewhat feasible?

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics? Chemistry? Electronics? Health Sciences?

1. What are some examples of research areas/topics that are accessible to a highschooler?

Some examples of research areas/topics that are accessible to a highschooler include biology, chemistry, physics, environmental science, and social sciences such as psychology and sociology. These topics can be explored through experiments, surveys, and literature reviews.

2. How can a highschooler find research areas/topics to explore?

Highschoolers can find research areas/topics to explore by talking to their teachers or mentors, attending science fairs or conferences, browsing through academic journals and publications, and brainstorming ideas based on their interests and curiosities.

3. Are there any limitations on the research areas/topics that a highschooler can explore?

While there may be limitations on the resources and funding available to a highschooler, there are no limitations on the research areas/topics that can be explored. Highschoolers can choose to focus on a specific aspect of a broader topic or explore a completely new and unique area of research.

4. Can a highschooler conduct research independently or do they need guidance?

A highschooler can conduct research independently, but it is recommended to seek guidance from a teacher or mentor. They can provide valuable insights and help ensure that the research is conducted ethically and accurately.

5. What are the benefits of pursuing research as a highschooler?

Pursuing research as a highschooler can provide numerous benefits, such as developing critical thinking and problem-solving skills, gaining hands-on experience in the scientific method, preparing for college-level research, and potentially contributing to the scientific community through publications or presentations.