Deflection of a tube beam where hollow is off-center

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the deflection and ultimate bending moment capacity of a hollow tube beam when the hollow portion is not concentric. The speaker is unsure of how to approach this problem and is seeking tips, links, or general thoughts. They also mention the possibility of the bending moment axis not being in the same plane as the two cylindrical axes, which may complicate the problem.
rkmore
So I am trying to figure out how I can calculate the deflection and ultimate bending moment capacity of a hollow tube beam when the hollow portion is not concentric. A regular concentric tube is easy enough but this has me out of my depth.

I assume that it will no longer be symetric in its reaction and capacity but I am not really sure.

Any tips, links, or general thoughts to get me started in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...

RKM

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the axis of the bending moment in the same plane as the the two cylindrical axes?

Hmmm.. I want to say "no" but I can also see that complicates the problem considerably, the axis of deflection is (I think) no longer in the direction of the load :-(

Let's say "yes" for now and then if my brain doesn't explode trying to wrap itself around that problem I will try to tack the more complex case later.

RKM

1. What is the purpose of studying the deflection of a tube beam where the hollow is off-center?

The deflection of a tube beam with an off-center hollow is important to understand because it can affect the structural integrity and performance of the beam. It can also impact the overall stability and safety of a structure.

2. How does the off-center hollow affect the deflection of a tube beam?

The off-center hollow can cause an asymmetric loading on the beam, resulting in uneven stress distribution and potential bending. This can lead to increased deflection and potentially failure of the beam.

3. What factors can influence the deflection of a tube beam with an off-center hollow?

The deflection of a tube beam with an off-center hollow can be influenced by various factors such as the location and size of the hollow, the material properties of the beam, and the magnitude and direction of the applied load.

4. How can the deflection of a tube beam with an off-center hollow be calculated?

The deflection of a tube beam with an off-center hollow can be calculated using mathematical equations and formulas, such as the Euler-Bernoulli beam theory or the Timoshenko beam theory. These equations take into account the various factors that can influence the deflection of the beam.

5. What are some practical applications of studying the deflection of a tube beam with an off-center hollow?

Understanding the deflection of a tube beam with an off-center hollow is important in various engineering and construction projects, such as designing bridges, cranes, and other load-bearing structures. It can also be useful in predicting the behavior of pipes and tubes used in industrial applications.