Need help with torque to force conversion

In summary, the electric motor can drive the machine if it is frictionless and if the weight of the machine is not a factor.
aakrusen
Scenario:
Electric motor, 30 ftlb @ 300 rpm
6000 lb load (13200 N) fixed to "this" machine
Motor drives a shaft that drives tracks (like a tank)
Will need to go up an incline (0 - 10°)
Weight of machine is not a factor
Assume frictionless system

I can't figure out how to determine if my motor can drive that load on a flat surface, let alone an incline.
I can design a gearbox to get the power needed but I need help to see if I can run it on a flat surface.
Do I have enough info to see if this motor will move the machine?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Weight of machine is not a factor
Weight of machine IS a factor. You must accelerate that mass up to your desired speed. You must also move that mass up the incline against gravity. That is done by torque being applied to the wheel shaft.

If "frictionless" is assumed, then
  • a torque is applied to the wheel shaft
  • the wheel, in effect, acts as if it was a rack & pinion system
  • torque applied to the wheel will move the mass forward and/or up the incline

The important bit of info you are missing is the amount of time required to accelerate all translational & rotational inertias up to speed.

Do a free body diagram showing the forces & torques in X & Y & Theta.
Use FBD to make force / torque balance equations.
Resolve torque into all torque components needed to give "peak torque."
Remember:
  • Torque = (rotary inertia J) * (rotational acceleration alpha)
  • Force = mass * (linear acceleration a)
  • alpha ~ delta(rotational speed) / delta(time)
  • a ~ delta(translational speed) / delta(time)
  • Peak torque includes every torque you can think of...motor & torque output must be sized for that.

T,
Thanks for the reply. Yes, the weight of the machine is a factor but it terms of my scenario, the weight of the machine is roughly 1% - 5% of the lifting load and I'm not really concerned about it yet. I will over design my system later on to include friction, machine weight, safety, etc. I just need help laying out the equations and making sure I've got the variables in the right place. I've been out of school for 6 years and I haven't done this stuff since then. Now, I'm in a job that requires some of this design stuff and I'm trying to "get back in the saddle".

I'll see what I can put together based on your comments. It may not look correct, but maybe you can help with that.

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object. It is typically measured in units of Newton-meters (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lb).

2. How is torque related to force?

Torque and force are related through the equation T = F x d, where T is torque, F is force, and d is the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied.

3. How do you convert torque to force?

To convert torque to force, you can use the equation F = T/d, where F is force, T is torque, and d is the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied.

4. What are some common applications of torque to force conversion?

Torque to force conversion is commonly used in engineering and physics to analyze the forces acting on objects that are rotating or in motion. It is also used in the design of machinery, such as engines and motors.

5. Can you provide an example of torque to force conversion?

Sure! Let's say you have a wrench that is 12 inches long and you apply a torque of 20 Nm to loosen a bolt. To convert this torque to force, we can use the equation F = T/d. Plugging in the values, we get F = 20 Nm/12 inches = 1.67 N. Therefore, the force applied to the bolt is 1.67 Newtons.